Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #1 
HatsuneMiku

my natural homemade hammock

since there has been a lot of issues with the zoo med hammocks and them being very dangerous and unsafe .. and i didn't really like the idea of buying one and then having to modify it to be safer ..

i decided to make my own out of an IAL and an air tube holder suction cup thing .. i didn't use any glue or any bonding material .. so now my IAL's have 2 functions .. release tannins and super hammock ^_^
Attached Images

HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #2 
NCPanthersgurl

That's an awesome idea ^.^
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

tyvm .. i hope it catches on .. i really worry about how bad those zoo med ones are when they cause any fishies harm

i actually got the idea from the other thread where they were discussing how to modify the zoo med hammock .. and the best thing about this one is that it costs a nothing to make .. and i can exchange the leafs when i need to
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #4 
NCPanthersgurl

Yeah definitely, it's a clever fix that's for sure. :D
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #5 
Laki

Neat!! I love it! Where does one find Indian Almond Leaf (that's what IAL is, right?) I just modified a silk plant with non-metal hair elastics for the time being, trust me, it's very crudely done! lol But yours is so nice!!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

=D thank you!!

yes IAL is indian almond leaf .. and my bf found them on e-bay .. they were like $5 dollars for 100 extra large grade A ..

I think oak leaves which might be easier to find or gather from nearby trees .. are also a good source of tannins too and could make a good natural hammock

but i'm not sure what the process is to dry them and prepare them to be tank ready .. maybe someone else here knows how to do it =D .. i'll post clearer pictures next time i change the leaf in my tank on how i clamped the leaf so that it stays =)
Old 08-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I threw some oak leaves in my 10 gallon and it didn't quite release tannins as well as the IAL...My betta and my shrimp still seems to like it though. I love the IAL hammock idea. :D
Also, your betta is really pretty.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #8 
harrypotter

What's wrong with the Zoo Med ones? My fish loves his, I always see him napping on it.
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

the wire in the zoo med one's apparently start rusting after a while and end up sticking out of the leaf and has been the culprit of tearing up bettas fin's and hurting them badly ..

i'm not saying this has happened to every hammock or owner.. but more then enough of people have had their bettas injured by it .. so that i just couldn't buy something with any risk of it hurting my betta

=D i hope u got one that's made correctly and doesn't start to rust and doesn't have parts that stick ou

@littlebittyfish

^_^ tyvm .. he's very camera shy .. i was lucky to get that picture since he was so curious about what i had just added in his home he didn't notice i had the camera out hehe !!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #10 
Comet1993

That's a great idea. :) It looks very nice, as does your betta. o.o He's gorgeous!
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote