Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #11 
Dozzem

I forgot about the snail (Poop robots!)

Is two small guppies + one ghost shrimp sound good? All in my 2.5 with a few fake plants, a thin layer of rock on the bottom, and maybe a cave.

Is there any special things I should know how to take care of guppies? I will get different food and all but anything else? Heater?
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #12 
GreenTea

Yeah try to get guppies of the same sex or you will have over 9000 babies in no time!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #13 
Dozzem

Oh dear... Will do!
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #14 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Guppies do like others around, though I'm just adding that they don't mind being alone, either. Just give them something to look at in their tank. xD'
Of course, to me, it just looks plain odd to have just one guppy. They're so tiny.

Here's a note for you: Get two males, they're very colorful and do flare at each other sometimes... it depends on the personality too. I find it very rare that they'll attack each other. The only reason I think they would be aggressive is if one's sick or much smaller than the other.
Get two females and you'll likely not have as much color as a male, though they are just as cute and always have the short fins... on that note, have a lid over the tank. Guppies like to jump as much as bettas do.
Get one of each sex and yeah, you'll have tons of babies very quickly. They breed like rabbits.

In any case, good luck with your new fishies! Personally I'm interested in how it goes. Mind PMing me who you get? (I'm as much of a guppy spaz as I am with betta fish.)

And if you get a ghost shrimp, you'll still want to get a lid. Those particular shrimp jump way more than anything I've ever seen or had. (I feed them to the Snowflake Eel at work... I catch 10 and about 5 end up on the floor after the transfer to the saltwater tanks, even if I try to not let them jump out. xP)
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #15 
ollief9

Please don't get guppies! They need 10 gallons!!

You could have a Paradise Fish, they are similar to Bettas, only they are coolwater fish and are a *little* more aggresive!

Or shrimp are great and surprisingly entertaining, watching their little legs going about 100 miles an hour just to get up on to a decoration..
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #16 
BlakbirdxGyarados

About food:
Hikari makes some food called Fancy Guppy or Micro Pellets. Either of those serves as great guppy food. I'd steer clear of flakes just because it can cloud water and dissolves rather quickly...

Edit: While the very minimum for guppies is 5 gallons, they should be fine in a 2.5. I'm not trying to sound like some stingy person who insists bettas can be kept in a .5 gallon "tank" with only weekly water changes... >> but I think if you treat the guppy like a mini-betta, the whole bio-load thing and such can work. As far as room goes for swimming...

Female guppies get a LOT bigger than males, mostly so they can hold all those babies. They are livebearers, anyway. X_x So I think it'd be better (and more colorful) to get males.

I should add: some males can get pretty big, too. It depends on genetics. My granpa has a guppy tank, and all the females get about 3.5 inches long at only 3 months old, which is crazy for a guppy. Start with the tinier ones first. If you happen to get some with a gene that makes them larger, you might want to go ahead and move them to a 5 gallon.

In any case, while they're very active and "the more room, the merrier", starting out, they should be alright in that.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 08-30-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #17 
ollief9

Endler's Guppies could go in a 2.5, they're basically mini guppies..
Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #18 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I didn't think about Endler's Guppies... I never had luck with them, though. Maybe I ended up with a batch of sick ones... tehy sure didn't look good when I got home. =='

I also just realized... Dozzem, your cat has my name. :V
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #19 
ollief9

Pygmy Rasboras would comfortably fit in a 2.5 in a school of about 4. They are very small but very colourful and beautiful, and quite easy to keep. Just not guppies...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...1t:429,r:1,s:0

Last edited by ollief9; 08-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #20 
BlakbirdxGyarados

... I have never heard of those.

I find it hard to find fish that can go in a tank even 5 gallons or less. Everyone seems to always automatically say "fighting fish" but at the same time, they know how much of a nerd I am about that.... Yay for ill-informed people and their ideas of betta fish... not yay for not knowing how to get a nano-tank started when the only fish I know could be there are bettas and sort of guppies.

Edit: Not a lot of decent info on the net either... I trust books more than this electronically-run thing. xP