Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

Make sure you don't share anything between your bettas when you change the water. I always get paranoid with that. I have 8 of them. I also paranoid with bowls. I always prefer to disinfect if i using it for another fish.

I think with the symptoms that you described you need to treat him with earthworm88 instruction’s gave you. Even if it from long time ago it progressing now.

I also think you need to do more water changes for other bettas to prevent it happened to them.

I do 100% water changes for my bettas. But you can do 1-50% and 1-100% a wk for 5 gall.
Or at least once a wk for 5 gall. I think every 2wk not enough.

Good luck.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #12 
Lordsameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Make sure you don't share anything between your bettas when you change the water. I always get paranoid with that. I have 8 of them. I also paranoid with bowls. I always prefer to disinfect if i using it for another fish.

I think with the symptoms that you described you need to treat him with earthworm88 instruction’s gave you. Even if it from long time ago it progressing now.

I also think you need to do more water changes for other bettas to prevent it happened to them.

I do 100% water changes for my bettas. But you can do 1-50% and 1-100% a wk for 5 gall.
Or at least once a wk for 5 gall. I think every 2wk not enough.

Good luck.
More water changes for my other fish would mean twice a day, lol.

Macchiato is in a cycled tank, if I take out all of the water I'd lose the cycle, would I not? I do change small amounts of water in his when I change out the other tanks, but I do an actual cleaning with the rock vac every two weeks.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

5) observe for 5 days to see if any improvement, if not, up the AQ to 3 tsp/gal but do not past salt treatment for more than 10 days. Meds will have to be considered as you said your problem is a lot worse than Abby's photos.

If you will consider medications use TETRACYCLINE API mix with Fungus Eliminator by Jungle. If store don't have Fungus Eliminator you can order it on line or 888-373-8686. And if you will not find TETRACYCLINE you can use MARACYN 1 and MARACYN 2. But you have to use them together. One is for gram negative ,another for gram positive bacteria. But i don't know if you can use it with Fungus Eliminator though.

I think TETRACYCLINE API with Fungus is better option because u can treat bacterial and fungal together at one time.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #14 
Lordsameth

Sorry, I don't think I trust your advice ANHEL123, I'll wait and see what other people say about medication first.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

Then i misunderstood. I don't cycle, so never mind. Somehow i though that you change water only once in 2 wk for 5 gall. Never mind sorry. I don't know anything about cycling.

It is ok about medication.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #16 
earthworm88

Lordsameth,

This is what's on DM's sticky for treatment:
Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

However, I still don't know exactly how severe your betta is suffering from the fin melt or fin rot, and since your betta has been having it for a while, I would just try the conservative way first with AQ/IAL/StressCoat on daily water change to see if you notice any improvement. If after 10-14 days and no signs of improvement, I would go for meds intervention. I researched and it seems that the tetracycline or the Triple Sulfa are the drugs of choice. I guess it also depends what you can get your hands on too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

Sorry that i am writing again but i have a question to earthworm88. I think that fin rot can be fungal or bacterial. Is fin malting the same? Because if it is then we don't know what kind fin problem that fish has-fungal or only bacterial. TETRACYCLINE API which treats bacterial infections and if you can mix it with Fungal Eliminator works amazingly.

I actually also research that mixed of medications long time ago. I treated a few bettas and it worked amazingly.

I also work at dr office so i always ask the doctor about medicatins before i recommend. Because the doctor also was a pharmacist before he became a doctor.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #18 
earthworm88

Hi Anhel123,
Sorry, was watching a tv show
You are absolutely right. My understanding is that majority of the time, bacteria is usually the primary cause of fin rot. Fungus can also be involved of course, but they tend to be more opportunistic, and becomes secondary infection, this risk increases as the water quality decreases. So you are right in that both organisms could be responsible and meds that would kill both may be a better option.

Having said that, as I had suggested earlier, I would tend to go the conservative way first by trying the simplest, cost effective and less stressful way for the fish to see if improvement can be made.

I am glad you were able to treat your bettas and it made perfect sense.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

I agree thank you very much. :)
Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #20 
BETTACHKALOVE

Hi guys, i absolutely agree on salt treatment. In case you will need to use medications I read a lot of good responses on this forum about Tetracycline and Fungus Eliminator, MARACYN1&2.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote