Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Planning on Breeding...

So, yes, I am firstly doing research :) But my question is really this....

How do you "pamper" your adult bettas after they are done their jobs?

Of course I will watch for fin rot, but I would rather do water changes at the first sign of it so it does not get severe! I will have backup medication just in case... But rather not use medication as medication seems to kill my bettas

I'll have both 10's open, plus another tank so I will be able to separate them when needed, and remove him when needed.

Btw, once the fry are visible as hatched, THEN you remove the male, right? And does he eat during the protection of the eggs? You should see my desk right now... there isn't a spot without a sticky note -.- Lots of research :p But to me it'll be worth it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 
Creat

Lol I dont really pamper them beyond adding a little aq salt lol plus the water changes is all they really need to keep the fins regenerating if they lost any...
I do feed my males during nest watch sometimes some males ignore the food some males really want it... and depending on the male is when I remove him I left my male in for about a week or so afterward on this recent spawn some I remove as soon as the fry are free swimming
trust your male and trust your gut, some males will become egg and fry eaters no matter what some are fine with the fry like I said before it depends on the male
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

oh and a question... I found they have between 1-500 surviving fry... How many jars should I plan for? xD I can get them easily. Plus the pet store would love healthy bettas, along with people I know :) I also have a spectacular ledge around half of my room, which'll fit many many jars.... I'll keep the room itself nice and warm (not that the tanks already keep my room hot and humid xD )
Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I found also, an answer stating to leave the light on day and night while he cares for the eggs.... true or false? (no seriously, you should see the sticky notes... lol)
Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #5 
Creat

I keep a growout and I keep the females in there at all times usually with the methods I use 100 fry is a big spawn small spawn are about 20 so planning for half males usually 30 or so containers are fine because some males might grow larger then other males and you can cycle them out
Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #6 
Creat

lol and I turn the light off but he does have a nightlight though... kinda like how bright the moon is but honestly I feel weird if they dont have day night cycles
Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #7 
betta lover1507

when they start free swimming then, yes remove the male, and thats when you start feeding the fries.

i heard there is a method in bettysplendens.com that you could keep the male with the fries for there life until you have to jar them. has anyone tried that? i heard that you have to feed him '4" times a day so he won't eat the fry, and give lots of space because if there isn't he will eat his fries. sorry for the interruption =[
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

That's what I thought lol... wouldn't want to stress him out by leaving "day" on all the time haha!!

Also as a genetic makeup marking, my main female (who is a giantess at 2.5 inches all body) has horizontal stripes... And she is black. Should I be looking for a white tube that was mentioned?

Is there any precautions, or thoughts/opinions you'd like to share? :)
Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Bettalover there is no interuption :) I'd like to know too haha!! Guess it depends on the male... Only male I won't dare breed is my lil' Admiral. He's just... blah. lol. sickly little thing I rescued.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #10 
Creat

What white tube?
Probably like I said before trust your male and trust yourself... a lot of people worry when you introduce the pair honestly it took a pair of mine once 5 days to spawn and I only left them together cause I trusted my male and female to make this work... also trust that he is taking good care of the fry unless your gut tells you he is acting funny and probably eating the eggs however I did have a egg eater that I left with the eggs only ended up with 20 fry free swimming but he could do a better job raising them then I could. And make a good set up it goes a long way in making things work better.
lol and i dont mind if anyone else chimes in :)