Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? 78-82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? nada

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Buffet and freeze bried BW as a treat
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets 1nc a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 every three days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75-80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None (well water)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he has developed a foggy fuzz on his right side, behind his gill.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He didnt come for his food, he is listing a little and his tail is floating twords the top.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 10 mins ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, he is in a QT waiting for you to tell me what to do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Noo
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 6 months

The mold is in the 2 parts indicated, but also spans between them.
Name:  DSC04327.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  49.0 KB
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 
GunsABlazin

moveind him into some IAL tinted water with 2 Tsp per gallon AQ salt.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 
Thunderloon

Are the patches smooth like a thin layer of school glue or do they have a stringy texture, bubbles, bumps or waviness to them?

Do they absorb light or reflect it?

No aeration and no filtration can result in an anaerobic environment, many of the easiest to treat infections are banished by filtration.

If you can get one of the Whisper 3i and an intake sponge to put over the bottom it'd solve aeration and the sponge will grow a bio-culture that cycles the tank. Total cost like $13.00. (tetra has done some modifying to the whisper3i)
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #4 
GunsABlazin

i cant fit a filter into his tank without taking up all of his air space.

It is alot like school glue, but not quite as white. Its smooth, no bumps.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #5 
DragonFish

...So...your tank is unfiltered and uncycled, and you're only doing 75-80% water changes?
Well...thats probably the root of your problem right there; ammonia build up.

In a 2.5 gallon unfiltered/uncycled tank you should be doing a bare minimum of one 50% change and one 100% change per week; two 50%s and one 100%s or two 100%s being more ideal.

The only way to get rid of ammonia in an uncycled tank is to do a 100% water change; remove fish, pour out all water, rinse everything in hot water, then refill, add conditioner, and acclimate fish back in.
Partial changes only dilute the ammonia some; eventually it builds up to harmful and even deadly levels.

It looks to me like those are ammonia burns, but if it appears more fuzzy and white, it could be something bacterial/fungal

For ammonia burns, fresh, clean, warm water(changed daily until he heals)is the best medicine....the IAL and the AQ salt probably won't hurt, but I'd lean more towards the IAL rather then the AQ salt.

For a bacterial/fungal infection....well, thats a little more serious; and you want to make sure thats definitely what he has before starting treatment...and the medication would depend on exactly what he has.

I don't see too much fuzz in the picture, which is why I'm thinking Ammonia burns....someone a bit more experienced in diseases can jump in and tell you for certian though.

Also, are you using conditioner? Well water may not contain chlorine, but its often high in heavy metals....you should still use conditioner; specifically one that says it takes out heavy metals.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #6 
GunsABlazin

They are like a gel, not ammonia burns.
But it being un-cycled, i should up my changes a little...but i never do more then 1 in a week (unless they are in QT...then its daily).

(ug tired of this explanation) I have well water, and have NEVER used conditioner with any of my fish. I had 19 not long ago (overwhelmed myself...so i found them homes) and they al lived fine. we don't have any heavy metals or other junk in our water...we have been told many times its so pure we could fill bottles from our hose and sell it as natural spring water.

Of the conditioner turns into an argument, we can deal with that later.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Thats rather puzzling then...from the pictures they look quite similar to ammonia burns; but if its gel-like perhaps it has something to do with his slime-coat....

Well then if you know for a fact that you have no heavy metals or the like, then thats fine....and I apologize for making you explain again; I have never come across any of your posts and know nothing of you water/fish history. I was on well water for years and always made sure to use conditioner because my research had told me well water often contained heavy metals; I'm simply sharing my knowledge and experience.
If you are positive there is nothing harmful in your water for the conditioner to remove, then you're all good; I see no need for argument there.

Any uncycled tank needs a 100% at least once a week, depending on the size....one water change a week in a 2.5 isn't ideal or recommended, but if thats all your up for, I highly suggest at least making it a 100%
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #8 
GunsABlazin

i didnt mean to come off rude or snappy, and im very sorry if i did :(. This thing with Ror is the straw thats gunna break my back today...to many bad things.

Its not that im not up to the 100% a week+ a 50 or more. Its that my fish start acting shy and frightend when i do it that often.

But, back to little MR.Ror, should AQS work or do i need to get something else for him? His poo looks normal. and nothing is inflamed.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

If it's ammonia burns or something with his slime coat, I think aq salt would be beneficial either way. It wouldn't hurt to try aq salt before a serious medication.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #10 
GunsABlazin

i have him in 2TSP/Gallon ATM, will that be ok or should i remake and use only 1?