Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari bio gold pellets and bloodworms twice a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day, 2 pellets each time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice week, one 50 %, and also 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? there is little white dots all over his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? listless and mopey instead of flaring and active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? just now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? just added some extra salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? can't tell
How old is your fish (approximately)?i got him a week ago, but i think he's around 1 year old.

Mr. Flub has ich all over his body; i can't believe i just noticed. It looks to be pretty severe. None of the over fish have any sign of illness.
I just did a 100% water change and added salt. I could float him in my heated tank but he would have to live in the petsmart store cups until it heals.
Please help!
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #2 
TequilatheBetta

... no one ? sorry for the bump but he looks pretty bad :(
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #3 
CrowntailTwitchy57

ok first u gotta calm down, i had the same problem! you need any medicine that treats ick, NEVER BETTAFIX!!! IT WILL HARM THE LABRYNTH ORGAN! But when the bacteria drops off the betta, like when your betta looks almost back to normal, change the water and scrub the tank to remove the bacteria. Good luck! Remember, NO BETTAFIX!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #4 
CrowntailTwitchy57

oh and i don't really think salt will help
Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If you have two of those pet shop cups..... I would do the two cup treatment with aquarium salt 2tsp/gal....

Premix the salt 2tsp/gal in a 1 gal jug of dechlorinated water.....use this water for 100% daily water changes.....move the fish to the new cup of fresh premixed water each day..rinse the other cup and let it dry for 24hr before you use it the next day...

Do this for 3 days past the last day you could see any parasites on the fish......you can float the small cup in the heated tank to get the temp up to about 86F, to speed the parasite life cycle, however, this can sometimes be more stressful on them and usually will only change the treatment time by a few days....

However, in severe cases- its not a bad idea to increase the temp for 24h to get them to start falling off the fish....severe case can kill the fish......

Salt is important in severe case to help prevent a secondary infection due to the wounds that are left on the body when the parasite detaches from the fish....open wounds can get infected......and the salt can assist in killing the parasite itself.....unless they are resistant.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #6 
TequilatheBetta

Thank you Crowntailtwitchy and oldfishlady :)
Crowntail- i definitely won't use bettafix then :)

Oldfishlady- i actually have the temperature at 32 Celsius, according to my heater. However, since my mom accidentally snapped the thermometer (damn cheap ones! LOL) But the temp seems more like 75 ish- even the water in the unheated QT tanks seems warmer.
Thank you for all the info, it'll really help him :)
Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #7 
CrowntailTwitchy57

tell us how Mr.Flub does!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #8 
Newtonbetta

Treating whole tank

For my filtered divided 10 gal, can I just treat the whole tank? 2 bettas in there showing minor signs of ich.

My aquasalt instructions say 1 Tablespoon per 5gal, but others here say 3 Teaspoons per gallon. Will 3 teaspoons/gal shock my fish?
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtonbetta View Post
For my filtered divided 10 gal, can I just treat the whole tank? 2 bettas in there showing minor signs of ich.

My aquasalt instructions say 1 Tablespoon per 5gal, but others here say 3 Teaspoons per gallon. Will 3 teaspoons/gal shock my fish?
If you treat in a 10gal tank...use 1tsp/gal aquarium salt and vacuum the substrate really good on a daily basis with a 50% water change....manual removal of the parasites in the tank is really important...treat for 3 days past the last day you could see parasites on the fish....this is so you get the ones hiding in the gill area......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #10 
TequilatheBetta

So the temperature in the tank is now 86. Tomorrow I'll go out and buy medication- is aquarisol okay? I read on bettatalk that it's the best for ich.