Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

On and off bloating/SBD? HELP!!!

I got this guy on a spur of the moment pity, not to mention he is BEAUTIFUL
Severe SBD and bloat when I got him, his belly was the size of a mable.
I have been reating him 3 tsps of espom salt per gallon of water...
Well, his bely started to go down, he was still having trouble swimming

When got him:

Well, this morning I woke up to find this!:

Swimming about like nobodys buiness, could barely get a picture of him before I left for class (he can MOVE!)

He can swim, tiny belly and hes happy!!!!

and then after class.... back to the way he was when I got him.... flopping on his side, belly the size of a mable...

anyone else have this problem???

100% water changes every day btw
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #2 
Micho

Maybe he got in genetically?

>: I'm really not sure, or it could be some internal parasite but I have no knowledge of that.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

Any recomindation on a good over all treatment for parasites?
There are not petstores near me, smal town: Walmart and dollar general (and foodlion) but the Walmart is actually in the city next door
I can order online, but I want to treat him ASAP if it is parasites
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

A vetrinarian will have Metronidazole, its an antibiotic and antiparasitic used in dogs fish and people, its actually prescribed as a girly-bit-problem cream... I toss it in to get parasites.

Seachem "MetroPlex" is probably the best purity preparation of it. Its both an internal and external by water environment dose medicine. If you do end up ordering it see if you have enough for NeoPlex, powdered neomycin (neosporin primary chemical). Neomycin cannot be absorbed through skin or intenstine, gill, labrynth or eyes. You can pick up a tiny amount on a wet toothpick and apply it in a teaspoon of water to soak food in as well.

For the bloat, begin soaking all the food you give him for at least 4 minutes, try to find smaller pellet sizes. Crowntail suffer from something like Pica where they can't tell that they're full and they will just keep eating and eating. So restricting the diet AND soaking the food are mandatory for them. My four inch Crowntail Fluffy gets two to three Hikari betta pellets through the day and is a healthy happy boy.

They're not trying out for the USSR female gymnastics team, they're trying to live a long time so feed carefully.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

Only vet is 2 hours away.... small trashy town where everyon lets their pets run free and do what ever.. my transportation is a bike otherwise I would go to petsmart and get jungle

Im going to look nto the MetroPlex and NeoPlex (my walmart DOES have the Jungle pasasite stuff but its only in tables for 29 gallon tanks...) they sell another kind but it is for scaless fish...

I have to to soak food for acouple icky bettas so thats not a big deal (can I give him garlic juice soaked pellets?)
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #6 
earthworm88

Hi LittleBettas,

Sorry your CT is having a set back. Some questions for you:
1) How long has he been in ES tx?
2) What type of food do you feed him and how often?
3) Is he always better in the morning when you wake up, and slowly deteriorates toward the end of the day?

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:48 AM   #7 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Only vet is 2 hours away.... small trashy town where everyon lets their pets run free and do what ever.. my transportation is a bike otherwise I would go to petsmart and get jungle

Im going to look nto the MetroPlex and NeoPlex (my walmart DOES have the Jungle pasasite stuff but its only in tables for 29 gallon tanks...) they sell another kind but it is for scaless fish...

I have to to soak food for acouple icky bettas so thats not a big deal (can I give him garlic juice soaked pellets?)
If you know what the dosage is, dissolve it in a bottle of drinking water and measure out the fractional dose. I'm suspicious that the "scaleless fish" version is the same. Read the labels next time you get a chance.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

the scaless fish one is liquid, would it be okay to use that (I prefer liquids....)
Im heading up to Walmarat now so I can read the backs...
Old 08-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #9 
Laki

Aw, best of luck!! Is it possible to scale down the dosage of the one prescribed for 29 gal tanks?? Like, for example if it says "1 capful for 29 gallons" then 1/2 cap would treat 14.5 gals and so on?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

I ended u getting tablets... but they are for ten gallons so its easier to divide it up for dosage... treating Huricane and Showbox starting tonight afte water changes :)