There's Something Very Wrong With My Betta!!! HELP!
Mr. Jingles, my betta, has something so wrong with him! Please help me! OK, so let me explain the whole thing!
Today, I woke up and fed my fish. I got dressed and everything, and played video games with my sister all afternoon. Then, I looked back at my fish, and he was throwing up! You heard it right, THROWING UP!! He was laying at the bottom of the tank just being sick. I was scared. Then, he was finished and he slowly floated up to the top of the tank and took a breath. I then noticed that his belly has HUGE! It is like swollen, and it doesn't look natural!! I'm so sorry that I cannot get pictures but my camera has flash, and I cannot get rid of it because my camera is crap. Anyways, he won't eat. Then he swims around like crazy, and he won't stop! He is very sick, and I need help! Please help me! Please feel free to ask any questions about the tank or anything! I will answer ASAP. PLEASE HELP, I'M SO SCARED!
Does the food look digested or partially digested, or like it does when you first put it in? Are you medicating the tank with anything?
Usually a fish throws up when they've eaten too much. It doesn't sound like you've been overfeeding him, but I would fast him for 2 days or so, as well as a water change, maybe 50%-100%, add in some stress coat and keep the lights off in his tank to keep him settled. Poor boy has a belly ache :(
When was the last time you did a water change, and did you add in anything?
Thanks! Let me try to answer all of those questions from the both of you!!!
1. Hmm, not sure what that means, maybe you could explain it again?
2. No, I only use like water conditioner and that's all I put in the water.
3. I did a water change just yesterday. It didn't change anything about my water baby.
4. I ALWAYS rinse the gravel out for a long time. It's really nasty.
5. I change his water like twice or three times a week.
6. I don't know the EXACT temperature because I still did not buy him a thermometer, but I know it's like room temperature water...
7. I'm not sure of the expiration date because I dumped the food in a bowl and put saran wrap over it. It's easier to handle.
8. I've been feeding it to my fish ever since I got him because I want him to finish it all so I can get a new kind of betta food.
9. Thanks a lot!
I answered all of the question the best I could. I'm only a teenager, so I don't really know all of this fish stuff and everything.... I hope somebody can help!! I am very scared!!
Flake food is not the best. It's best to use a daily pellet and occasionally use frozen foods for variety. You can find high quality betta pellets at petco/petsmart and some local fish stores for 3 - 15 dollars, depending on your budget. It sounds like he's just being overfed. You could always get him a new kind of betta food and throw that stuff out, or get him a betta food and occasionally feed him those flakes as well for some variety. When I started, I learned that high quality food makes a big difference!
If he is unable to use the bathroom, slightly warmer water with a little epsom salt will help. Some people might recommend peas for constipation but I believe it's very rough on their digestive track.
Yes, he is pooping everyday. I made sure of it. Thanks for all of this advice, I'll be sure to do all of this. I will get pellet food. (If I can find some) :) Lets hope he gets much better! Thanks again!!