Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #1 
bettarainbow

2 strangers in my betta spawning tank

This morning when i got home from work at 7am, i met my sister in law just before heading into my room and she told me that she just drop 2 new fish in my big tank in the garage, i just said ok without asking her which kind of fish. I went to sleep and wake up around 3pm. While i was under the shower, my little brother was knocking at the door few times, i open the door to him then he said there is a big fight in the big tank. I went quickly see and that was true, my fighter 5 stars was fighting with those 2 new strangers that my sister in law put inside without asking my permission. First i though that was 2 new betta then after taking a close look, that was 1 pair of blue ram cichlid. My fighter just spawn with a female yesterday. It is a 55 gallons tank, but i am still worrying about those eggs.
So, i decided to stay and observed the big fight, well actually there was no fight at all, the pair was defending the left side of the tank and the fighter betta male was making sure those ram will not cross his side. I was thinking that i need to place a divider inside but at the same time, if i move too much, all the bubbles nest will be destroy and all the eggs will be lost. So, i decided to leave like this and hopefully those betta fry will make it until they are strong enough to be move out. The tank is big and has a lot of plants and hiding spots all over.
I just pray that my betta fry and those ram will get along well since i will feed that pair with live food, they will be so full that they will not try to eat the fry.
Tomorrow, i will do some research about those ram and how they are going to spawn. I tried to catch them and that was impossible, they were swimming too fast.
Anyone know or has ram cichlid ?? Any advices ??
Some pics of the male looking at after the nest.
Attached Images

bettarainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

I have a bad feeling about that...I say find something to put the chichlids in and try to find them a new place to stay until the fry are able to be moved or find a temp tank for them until the 55 is freed up...Chichlids don't eat their fry but betta fry...I just wouldn't risk it.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #3 
bettarainbow

Well too late, the eggs just hatched. Anyway, i put a divider to separate the tank, 1 side the pair ram and the other side, my fighter and his new babe fry.
Time to prepare the bbs to feed them tomorrow.
Thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #4 
BlakbirdxGyarados

It's bad enough your sister in law put two cichlids in the same tank as your betta. Really it's almost impossible to mix cichlids with anything or anyone other than more ciclids. D: Did she think the tank was empty?

Hopefully things work out... and nothing worse happens. Good luck.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #5 
BettaGirl290

Good luck!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #6 
jman828

Good luck
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #7 
bettarainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
It's bad enough your sister in law put two cichlids in the same tank as your betta. Really it's almost impossible to mix cichlids with anything or anyone other than more ciclids. D: Did she think the tank was empty?

Hopefully things work out... and nothing worse happens. Good luck.
Well, she knew i have fish in the tank but she didn't know that the pairs were spawning. I tried again today to get those rams out and nothing. The tank has too many plants and hiding spots, each time they see me come close to the tank, i think they know already what i am going to do. Oh well, hopefully with that divider, all the betta fry will be save.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #8 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Right... the divider is a good thing, at least. Still, I hope all goes well.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote