Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

I can't figure out what's wrong

Something is up with lucky but I can't figure out exactly what's wrong...

Maybe its just me but he seems to be awfully skinny these days.
When i got him he looked like this

then he recovered and looked like this

Right now he looks like this

Now he is all clamped up and his fins look a little stiff when he swims. He used to be a very active fishie, even when I found him at walmart. I though something was wrong a few weeks ago but couldnt figure out what and then i dropped him . To me he looks very skinny too. Its like he has huge head and a tiny skinny body but he eats. I though parasites but his poop is normal.

I though maybe he needed a heater so I set up the soroity and gave him the 5 gallon with the heater but then it looked like he was having seizures when he swam. He had jerky movements when he swam. I had also put AQ salt in the tank and though maybe that was the problem.

Now he is in a 1 gallon with aq salt, and stress coat. Last I looked at him he was lethargic at the bottom of the container.

What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? mid 70's
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hiraki pellets or new life spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1X a day, 3-5 depending on which food i use

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat and AQ salt at the moment

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25 its in the tap water
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness: very hard from what i remember
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped, stiff fins, head looks huge compared to skinny body and is totally skinny except for a small bulge visible on noth sides of him, near the tail fin area
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? clamped for a bit now but it got worse recently, lethargic starting today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? just AQ salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not really but he wasnt healthy when i got him in april
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-30-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Tikibirds, sorry to hear your guy isn't doing well.
On the last photo, is there some abnormality with his operculum or gills?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Quote:
On the last photo, is there some abnormality with his operculum or gills?
His gill area has been kinda funky since I got him. I asumed it was an ammonia burn that healed over, kinda like a scab?

Here is an older pic - good shot of the gill area. And its not my immagination, he was fatter in this pic

Maybe he is just old?? I only had him about 4 months but no idea how old he really is.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #4 
earthworm88

You are right, he does look skinnier now than before. But it seems that you are feeding him normal and he is eating normal and nothing is out of sort as your care is excellent.

Why is he in AQ now? Since he is having some bulging of the SBD, may be stop the AQ tx, break for a day, then start him on ES and IAL? Is he having any trouble swimming about when he wants to?

How far did he fall when you dropped him? I wonder if something internal was badly bruised or damaged from the fall. Is he still eating normal now? I think you might want to feed him higher protein food for him to beef up

It is always frustrating when all seems well on the outside but yet something may be wrong. Hopefully he will perk up for you soon!

Cheers!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

He seems to be able to swim fine, but his fins seem like they are stiff and not loose and flowy as normal.

He was already not his normal self when I dropped him. He fell about a foot or so. I was sitting on the floor and picked up the .33 gallon to look at him and the top came off I came to the conclusion it was all in my head and put him back into the larger tank.

Quote:
Is he still eating normal now? I think you might want to feed him higher protein food for him to beef up
He eats like a horse but seems to be loosing weight.

As of the last time i looked his breathing was fine.

I was thinking maybe a bacterial infection so I added some AQ salt. And he has some IAL.
Or maybe internal parasites??
Quote:
Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites.
I looked for the anti parasite stuff but cant find it anywhere.

I hope he doesnt have TB

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-30-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #6 
earthworm88

Quote:
He seems to be able to swim fine, but his fins seem like they are stiff and not loose and flowy as normal.
Oh...is it possible he is having the beginning stage of fin melt, even though the photos don't show that.

Quote:
He was already not his normal self when I dropped him. He fell about a foot or so.
That doesn't sound like it would have any lasting impact on him. Mine dropped about 3 feet up and he survived to continue wiggling his tail albeit a broken one

Quote:
He eats like a horse but seems to be loosing weight.
Hmm...If that's the case, I would think it is parasitic infection that is making him so.

Quote:
Or maybe internal parasites??
Yeah...I will lean toward this myself. How does his poop look?

Quote:
I hope he doesnt have TB
It's a lot rarer than we think, and your betta isn't exhibiting any of those symptoms.

So I think it's highly likely internal parasites.

Last edited by earthworm88; 08-30-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Quote:
How does his poop look?
This is what confuses me because they are normal brown poops, nothing was white or stringy.

should I switch to epsom salt then??

I need to go to bed, its almost 6 am in Alaska *yawn*
Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #8 
earthworm88

Hehe...your Lucky is so grateful that you stayed up all night trying to figure out what's wrong with him

Unfortunately I am not an expert in this, but based on what I know, I would treat it as internal parasite. Bacteria generally is fast acting whereas parasites can be more insidious...well at least in humans anyways

Wish you the best of luck. I am sure the experts on this board will chime in if we are missing something here.

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:51 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

I found something called quick cure thats for parasites but i think its for external ones. The ingredients are Malachite green and Formalin.

I also got Jungle's parasite clear but the fizzie tabs are for a 10 gallon tank and he is in about a 1.5 gallon. Active ingredients are metronidazol, praziquantel, diflubenzuron and acriflavine.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 AM   #10 
earthworm88

Ideally we need something for ingestion like Jungle's anti parasitic pellets. When it comes to medicines for the fish, DM will be the best person to ask.

As for the Jungle fizzie tab, do you have a 5 gal container somewhere? I was thinking cutting the tab in half and put it in a 5 gal, and then use it for your 1 gal QT, and seal the container and keep it stored shut in a dark place, so that will last for 5 days tx? I haven't research this fizzie tab much and not sure the sensitivity issue with them, but this is something I just thought of.....

Will try to get back to you later on this....need to feed my growling stomach now before i faint

Hopefully the meds experts can come to your rescue, but most of the are still snoozing in the West I suspect.