Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #1 
wickedrodent

Well CRAP. Bad idea?

So. I went ahead and got a 10 gallon for my betta and bought 2 platies.

Introductions today are going pretty badly. Mr. Betta is chasing the poor platies around and nipping at them. I'm kinda worried to leave them together.

Thoughts? Help?

Will he settle down?
wickedrodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #2 
BettaGirl290

you should have asked us first if putting him in with them was O.K. but, you should remove him, or you could split the tank so he has his own side, remove him first, before he nibbles them!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #3 
jman828

You're going to have to remove or divide like BettaGirl said
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Smile

Now see, I have a betta in with 6 platys. The reason your introduction did not work, is because you introduced the platys into the betta's territory. With mine, I had the platy in there, and then added the betta. Therefore, territory is not in the aggressor's spot.

Plus, it also depends on your betta. Some bettas are just plain mean... Others will chase for a couple minutes, then mind their own business. Some do not even bother with the other fish - other than maybe checking them out.

In total my bettas have been with the following with zero problems: guppies, platys, blind cave tetras, skirted tetras, zebra danios, dwarf african frog, apple snail, platys, balloon mollies, balloon molly fry, platy fry, regular molly... I have 4 males and a female, and all of them I trust in a community tank other than Dusk, who is a definite bully. I also make sure the other fish are not aggressive or fin nippers... Some platys nip (mine were younger and learned fast) others not.

Compatability depends on the attitude of all fish, especially the personality of the betta :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #5 
SVC

Generally, I have been told that bettas should not be with any other "long finned" fish because they will get aggressive as they do when they see one of their own. There are however, exceptions to every rule as stated by some of the other members above. For example, your betta could be really mean or really gentle and so a lot of the typical rules won't apply.

Personally, I had my betta in with a school of neon tetras and he never once bothered them. Instead, the tetras would constantly chomp my boy's fins! In return, he would kind of chase them off but never nipped them back.

If he doesn't settle down, then you should probably divide the tank as bettagirl said or remove the platys. It also makes sense that the other fish being introduced into betta's territory will not sit well with him as opposed to if he had been introduced to their territory.

Definitely don't leave them in together overnight if there is aggression!
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Agreed :) once I introduced a guppy to my betta, he was angry. but sticking him in a group of guppies in THEIR territory they all were fine and they thought he was an overgrown guppy -.-
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #7 
SVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Agreed :) once I introduced a guppy to my betta, he was angry. but sticking him in a group of guppies in THEIR territory they all were fine and they thought he was an overgrown guppy -.-
LOL that's cute! I have also been told that certain different species of fish will end up schooling together if they are put in the same tank but I hadn't heard of it for a betta.

Speaking of compatability, does anyone have any experience with how bettas and danios get along? I recently had some tank issues and lost all but one of my neon tetras and my betta got sick too but they are recovering in separate QTanks now so my main tank was empty and the guy at my LFS gave me 3 danios to keep the cycle in my tank from stalling. Now, I have a dilemma as to whether I should put my betta in with the danios or not. The danios are so hyper and have nipping tendencies too. I already saw it with a little hitch hiker snail I got on a plant. Whenever they see him on the glass, they nip at him. Also, my betta is getting riled up seeing them swim around his hospital tank (which is floating in the main tank) because he's probably thinking "hey what are they doing in my space?". It doesn't look like it will be a good scene but I really wanted to avoid getting another tank.
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I have had mine with zebra danios!!!! If your betta is semi-aggressive, it's perfect. My danios would try going "slowly" to my betta, he would flick his tail and they'd flip and swim away. They are overgrown chickens ;) Plus they are too fast for him to harm.

Feeding, mine would then realize he had to side swipe or head butt the danios for food. Then they learned HE was the boss haha!!! Does not hurt to try!!! just watch for half hour or so, and see how it goes :)
Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVC View Post
LOL that's cute! I have also been told that certain different species of fish will end up schooling together if they are put in the same tank but I hadn't heard of it for a betta.
Technically guppies aren't schooling fish... In my experience they're a lot like mini-betta fish, except they don't try to kill other males and are a LOT easier to breed with females. |D;

Guppies can be in a tank by themselves. But as small as they are, it just looks awkward. >__>

It is cute, though, the guppies seeing the "giant guppy" as one of their own. I didn't introduce my betta to my guppies, though. I did it opposite. Jade didn't like them, kept flaring, but they were in one of those cup things that pet stores use to transfer fish from tanks to the bag... whatever that thing is called. So he couldn't get to them... and once he stopped flaring, got used to seeing them, I let them out and they all mixed really well. Not the way to do things, but the females were having way too many kids way too fast. |D I had to do something, and it worked.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 08-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #10 
fishy friend2

i dont know if this is true but i have heard of moving around the decorations in the tank and when adding new fish so the fish that are already in there dont attack them because the territory is messed up and the fish have to find a new territory all over again
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote