Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #1 
mywingedhorses

Does a change in water source affect the cycle?

I'm going to be moving from home back college soon. I have a ten gallon cycled tank with 4 cories and a betta. Currently, I am using well water to fill my tank but I will be switching to tap water when I get to school. Does a change from well water to tap water affect the cycle of the tank? I'm a bit concerned that a change in the cycle will hurt my cories since I know they are sensitive to ammonia and nitrites.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for how to preserve the beneficial bacteria from the filter and the gravel? Would keeping it in a bucket with a bit of tank water keep the bacteria from dying? It's a five hour drive to school and I would hate to lose everything I've established.

I have my system for transportation and acclimation all planned out so I'm really only concerned with the cycle.
mywingedhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #2 
lordadamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywingedhorses View Post
I'm going to be moving from home back college soon. I have a ten gallon cycled tank with 4 cories and a betta. Currently, I am using well water to fill my tank but I will be switching to tap water when I get to school. Does a change from well water to tap water affect the cycle of the tank? I'm a bit concerned that a change in the cycle will hurt my cories since I know they are sensitive to ammonia and nitrites.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for how to preserve the beneficial bacteria from the filter and the gravel? Would keeping it in a bucket with a bit of tank water keep the bacteria from dying? It's a five hour drive to school and I would hate to lose everything I've established.

I have my system for transportation and acclimation all planned out so I'm really only concerned with the cycle.

Empty your tank leave enough water in it to cover gravel, as long as water stays between a range from 65 - 85 degrees Fahrenheit it will survive your trip...

If this is not a viable option: get freezer bags put gravel and enough water to keep gravel wet put ina cooler with no ice a cooler should maintain the temperature....

Last edited by lordadamar; 08-30-2011 at 01:34 PM.
lordadamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

I did exactly what loradamar said when I moved my tank. Except I also took the filter media out and put it down in the gravel. My tank water reads after 2 weeks at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 2.5 nitrate. So the cycle held! My drive was only 3 and a half hours, but I was not able to set it up for at least an hour after I got here. The only problem I had was that my anubias dried out and have not been doing great since then...The moss was left on the gravel, and the moss balls were put in a storage container with tank water
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote