Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #1 
dhow64

Exclamation Need advice on what this might be?

A couple of days ago I bought two betta's, Jake and Elwood, both very nice looking fish, the other day Jake started acting strange, erratic movements, loss of appetite, now he sulks on the bottom tank and swims to the top for air now and then. He does eat maybe two pellets then he quits, and also it looks like he swam thru a cobweb<- only way to describe it. I changed the water conditioned it and added about a tsp of aq salt to his tank and it seems like he's becoming more active but still not himself please if anyone has anything that can help I'm all ears.
dhow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #2 
EverythingNice55

Hmm, maybe you could fill out a form sticky thing and tell us the tank size, tank water etc. I hope this helps. Could you get pictures? Maybe you should try feeding him a new kind of food? You came to the right place to ask this! I hope he gets better! Good luck!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 
BetterBetta

Here's a couple of things that sounds like your case.
(all of this is in Darkmoon17's sticky)
Quote:
Body Slime Infection
•Symptoms: Your betta is covered in a white film. It may just be in a few areas and may rise of the skin a bit. Lethargy, clamped, loss of apetite, may have cloudy eyes.
•Treatment: Body Slime infections or Slime Coat Sloughing are due to bacterial infections. Perform daily 100% water changes. Use 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt for up to 10 days. If that does not work then use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Jungle’s Lifeguard.
^^^describes the cob web appearance...
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #4 
dhow64

Well I have him in a gallon tank and the water is around 75ish I use conditioner every water change and I change the water 100% every other day, I feed him pellets, it was just recently that he got that gunk on him the cobweb looking junk. I took a picture of it see url. I added the AQ salt and that's all I've done so far I'm just looking for a diagnosis and a treatment and any pointers. Thanks guys.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #5 
dhow64

Thanks better betta I'll do the salt for 10 days and see how it goes. I'll let you know.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #6 
BetterBetta

It could also be columnaris... here's a picture:

See it on the back? Yeah, well here's the paragraph on how to treat it from Darkmoon17's sticky (they are like the betta disease expert :D)
Quote:
Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote