Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Exclamation Help me identify all the things wrong - pictures

This guy was left with me in a filthy 3 gal tank.

I'm guessing popeye, bloat, maybe fin rot? I don't see any fungus or raised scales but his eyes are blurry. I currently have him in warm water with a high aq salt dosage. I didn't sleep at all so I need to now..8 am yuck. When I wake up I'm going to go get him some betta revive or something. Here's photos! Help is appreciated. His gills look swollen.

This guy is also huge by the way o_0
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #2 
Laki

Congrats on the add! He will clear up nicely and be a handsome fella :) I'm not sure but aq salt might help alleviate his symptoms until someone here confirms a treatment ^.^
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #3 
GreenTea

The owner was like "I was just going to dump him in the river"

I was like, oh ok ...(the Columbia river! full of freezing and chemicals) good thing you brought him here instead! Bye now!

I'm also wondering if he just has a big goofy triangle head with big eyes or is sick. He's weird lookin!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Hmm....I don't see anything too terribly wrong with him....nothing that can't be cured with clean, warm water and some TLC(and maybe some salt too wouldn't hurt).
I would suggest Epsom salt instead of AQ though....he does look a touch bloated(nothing serious of course), and the Epsom will help with that. Also, if you suspect pop-eye(which I personally don't see; maybe someone a little more experienced might...?)then the Epsom will help with that as well.

For his gills...can you get him to flare? I've had bettas that just have large beards, which might be all that is. If you can get him to flare and get a better look at his beard, that should help to see if its swollen/abnormal or not.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #5 
GreenTea

His gills are definitely swollen - you know how under their jaw the beard/gills line up? It looks like they're being pulled from his face. He can't really swim. It's hard for me to tell if it's popeye - his eyes arent HUGE but they appear larger than would be expected even at the strange end of things. Warm water, salt, and TLC it is then..
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #6 
Laki

He cannot swim well?? Poor guy. What are you keeping him in now?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #7 
GreenTea

He's in a nearly opaque shallow tupperware container in my dark bedroom. Why can't I sleep?!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #8 
DragonFish

Hmm....then definitely Epsom salt is the way you wanna go(same dosage as AQ salt if I recall); that will address the bloating and any swelling.
When in doubt; Warm, clean water, TLC, and some salt is always the way to go....it really is amazing how much such a simple treatment can cure.

For the bloating, fast him for a day or two and then offer him some Frozen Daphnia; that'll help get his system moving and, along with the Epsom salt, should take care of the bloat.

Like I said, I don't see pop-eye....I've had fish with larger eyes like that before, it just seems like the way they are. Pop-eye, in my experience, makes the eye a little larger then that/makes it look milky and cloudy.

But poor little guy, almost tossed in the river like that :/ How terrible, what a waste of a lovely, handsome little boy that would have been(I have a bad soft spot for the blues like that; my first betta was a Blue VT JUST like this guy). Its a good thing is in good hands now, good for you for taking him in :)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #9 
Laki

Are you saying people don't like blue VT's?? O.o Kind of a stigma like red eyed whites (rabbits, reps, etc.)??
Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #10 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Are you saying people don't like blue VT's?? O.o Kind of a stigma like red eyed whites (rabbits, reps, etc.)??
Lol, not at all
I personally have a soft spot for blue VTs; but I'm sure regardless of what he looked like it would have been the same situation, and a waste of a perfectly good life to toss him in the river like that.

And, oddly enough, I also happen to have a thing for albino animals, especially with red eyes ;)