Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #1 
LittleNibbles93

Cici has popeye.

How long I don't know. I've been really busy with classes and studies that I've not taken time to sit and watch my fish. I have the next 2 days away from class, and I noticed that Cici has a minor case of popeye.

Well, I thought her eyes looked like balloons, so I got her into one of the cups and put her on webcam and showed her to my friend who's got bettas and is really good at caring for them, she confirmed it as popeye.

What do I do? D: Its minor right now, her eyes look swollen and she's gone from crimson red to a brownish red. Her attitude hasn't changed any and still acts like she's jacked up on caffeine.

She's in in a cup right now, I didn't want to leave her in the sorority like this, it seemed the others were starting to pick on her.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I do Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins-along with 100% daily water changes in QT for 10-14 days for popeye....

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt and tannin source-either IAL or Oak leaf and let this steep for 30min-1hr to release tannins and salt to dissolve...shake well before use and use this water for the 100% daily water changes while in QT and maintain water temp in the 76F range....

You also need to find the root cause....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, number of other fish and livestock in the tank, appetite, how long have you had her.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #3 
BlakbirdxGyarados

She's out right now, so I'll add a few things I know about her tank.

The tank is a 10g, I don't know how often water changes are done or how much is taken out, nor do I know the temp. There is a filter, there are live plants... correct me if I'm wrong on that, sis. I could swear you had some plants. Don't know about additives, but there are a total of five girls in the tank including Cici. She's had Cici for at least 10 months, maybe a year. She sisn't tell me about eating habits, though I probably should've asked.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 
LittleNibbles93

The tank is 10g gallons (and is currently going through its brown algae stage *pulls hair frustratedly*).

I do water changes once a week, I'm on a tight schedule with classes and studying, I do my best to keep up with the changes.

Its summer here, and it stays pretty warm, it stays at 76-80 degrees all the time, I don't use a heater at the moment (I have one btw, its in my fish supply box ready to be used, I've not bothered using it because my home doesn't keep cold air in very well, so its pretty warm in here anyways).

The tank is filtered. And I have no live plants, I was going to get some once, but never got around to it. The only additive I use is water conditioning (Aquasafe) to kill the chlorine.

I have 5 female bettas in the tank, that includes Cici, who is the only one showing signs of it,everyone else is fine. There are no snails or shrimp.

Her appetite is normal, she seems to have alot of trouble not seeing the food at first, which she's been doing for a few weeks now....I shrugged it off as her just being so excited she was spazzing out to much to see, her eyes showed no bulging of any sort.

I've had Cici since the middle of February, this is her first illness.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

... well boy, have I lost track of time. I forgot you didn't get Cici until quite a bit after I got Leliia.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

How much/percent are the weekly water changes and do you vacuum...also, how long has the tank been setup and how is it scaped-it has tall items in several places that go all the way to the top......reason I am asking is to see if stress is the cause-pic would help...was she the top girl in the tank or lower ranking....jacked up on caffeine..lol....she was moving a lot, pushing the other girls around, responded to you- until the popeye symptoms and then she was picked on by the other girls due to her weaken state...right....

Good that you QT her and that her appetite is still good...I have had good results with Epsom salt, tannin treatment with popeye symptoms...it usually takes about 5-6 days to start to see the edema reduce and with some I have had to increase the Epsom salt to 3tsp/gal on or about day 6 if noticeable reduction in edema hasn't been noted...not all...just depending on the cause.....

I don't blame you for not using the heater yet...I do the same thing...as long as the water temp is somewhat stable...I don't stress over the normal gradual temp changes you can see with day and night.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #7 
LittleNibbles93

50% once a week. There's an attached photo of the tank.

I can't seem to find espom salt, is it just originary espom salt? Or is it special aquarium salt, where could I get some? (I tried looking on petco.com, and came up with the wrong stuff.) Or, is it just ordinary aquarium salt? (I have the salt for aquariums that they sell at wal-mart (I've not had to use it yet)
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #8 
Punki

Epsom salt is your typical pharmacy epsom salt, unscented, us humans use it for sore bodies and swollen feet sometimes :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #9 
LittleNibbles93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
Epsom salt is your typical pharmacy epsom salt, unscented, us humans use it for sore bodies and swollen feet sometimes :)
Ah, so my mom was right lol. We don't have any, but my nana does, I'll borrow some from her tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #10 
Punki

No problem, i was lost the first time i went looking for it also XD I hope your little one gets better asap :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote