Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 
Gizmothefreaky

Planning a sorority...

I am going to be getting a 20gal soon, not sure if it is long or tall, as it is a second hand from someone my mom works with, but i was planning on maybe six or seven girls and some cories (not sure what breed yet)... My question is, i already have a femal who i wanted to make the sorority around, but she has been alone for a long time... I did get her from a petsmart though, where they had her in a sorority... She was the least aggressive there, but now that she is bigger... Would it be alright for me to build a sorority around her, or will she have to live alone forever?
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 AM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

No opinions guys? o.o?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I think it would be difficult to tell how your female is going to behave without actually putting her in a group situation.

I have had docile older females, as well as one that escaped and was found attacking my plakat male.

A possible way to ease the transition if you feel your female has the possibility of being hyper-aggressive, would be to select the youngest females you can find. While this doesn't guarantee anything, younger females are usually less territorial than mature females that have been housed alone.

Anyway, with careful supervision, the worst case scenario is that you have to pull out your original female and house her separately from the others.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Yeah, that is what i thought... lol. She already has her own tank anyway, so it wouldnt be hard to put her by herself again.

I found out it is a 20 tall, and i am also getting another ten gallon for free. XD Yay!

Would a 20T still be alright for a sorority? It isnt quite as much space as a long...
Old 08-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Should be fine. My sorority currently consists of five females in a 7 gallon tank, which is as wide as it is tall.

As long as you have enough cover, particularly in the top levels, it should be fine.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

I think i am going to get six more females (making it seven total), move the loaches over (four khuli loaches), and perhaps get a few other middle dwelling fish... Would i be able to do that in a 20gal with excellent filtration?

Ill fully set up the tank with lots of plants and everything first though, and let it cycle... Im planning on hitting silk plant sales at my local craft stores and slowly change to live plants as i get the money for them. XD

And yes, this is not about bettas, but the ten gallon is going to be for dwarf puffers... I am SO EXCITED!! XD
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have heard that the longer they have lived on their own the harder it will be for them to transition into a sorority.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #8 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I have heard that the longer they have lived on their own the harder it will be for them to transition into a sorority.
Yeah, but i can only try, right? lol She already has her own tank, so if she turns out to be a bully, she will just be on her own again. I still want the sorority though. XD
Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

You should be able to as long as your tank is properly cycled and has a filter that is appropriately sized to provide adequate biological filtration.

I would ensure any additional fish coming into the sorority are quarantined. Bettas living in group situations always seem prone to bacterial diseases, so I would give new fish a minimum two week grace period (it's good to de-worm any fish during this time, and if you want, use something like Waterlife Myxazin for a couple of days just as a precaution) to prevent the introduction of disease.

A smaller species of rasbora would look nice, and I don't believe they are as nippy as other schooling fish such as danios and tetras.

This was in response to the question about adding more fish

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 08-31-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Change of response
Old 08-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #10 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
You should be able to as long as your tank is properly cycled and has a filter that is appropriately sized to provide adequate biological filtration.

I would ensure any additional fish coming into the sorority are quarantined. Bettas living in group situations always seem prone to bacterial diseases, so I would give new fish a minimum two week grace period (it's good to de-worm any fish during this time, and if you want, use something like Waterlife Myxazin for a couple of days just as a precaution) to prevent the introduction of disease.

A smaller species of rasbora would look nice, and I don't believe they are as nippy as other schooling fish such as danios and tetras.

This was in response to the question about adding more fish
Could i be safe adding them into the tank first to help with the cycle? that way i could make sure they are healthy before adding in my females.