Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #1 
snitz13

Exclamation Fin Rot Treatment...I need clarification please!

My betta has fin rot and I received a recommendation using dried oak tree leaves and epsom salt. The only problem was that I couldn't find any dried oak tree leaves, so I tired one more treatment from the store (Myacin2, which isn't working).

Now I'm drying the leaves and have the epsom salt, but the instructions aren't clear anymore. And the more I research it, the more confusing it gets....

I currently have him in a 1g QT and am doing daily water changes. I have only used unchlorinated water in the changes for 3 days to give him a break on the meds.

I really want to get him healthy again, but need help!

snitz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #2 
Laki

From what I understand epsom salt is best for bloat and constipation type illnesses. Aquarium salt might help any cuts or abrasions. Stress Coat from API is recommended around here from what I've been reading. Hope he gets better soon!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #3 
audjree

the main thing he needs is some warm, clean water, along with some aquarium salt.

since you already have him in a QT tank,
  1. if you have a gallon milk jug or water jug, empty it and rinse it, then add water, and some dechlorinator (API stress coat works well, since it helps heal fins), then 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon. then, pour into tank.
  2. do daily 100% water changes with the AQ salt, for a maximum of ten days. any longer and you risk harming your betta. you can continue with the API stress coat from there.
i hope he gets well. my betta is now healing from fin rot, and he's doing great. (:

Last edited by audjree; 08-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #4 
snitz13

Will the stress coat and auarium salt help stop the fin rot or just heal the fins?

Also, along w/ the Myacin2 I included aquarium salt. That is what I'm giving him a break from. Would it be ok to use it again after a few days?

Petsmart is so unhelpful! :(
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #5 
snitz13

And thank you for the heads up on the epsom salt, I'd hate for him to have diareaha and fin rot! Talk about feeling like a horrible mom! Haha!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #6 
audjree

the AQ salt should help stop the fin rot, while it also helps heal fins, i believe, but stress coat only helps heal fins.

as for the myacin 2, i've never really heard of it, so i can't help you there. sorry. :/
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #7 
jman828

The salt will stop fin rot as the bacteria that causes it cannot tolerate it while stress coats only heals and provides slime coat.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote