Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Question Missing scales, or marbeling?? (photos included)

I've had my veil-tail female, Daisy, for about a month now. She's been perfectly healthy, except for this x_x. Daisy is a black and yellow mustard gas. About a week ago, I noticed a small yellow spot on her left side. It looked like a missing scale, so i gave her a 100% water change and treated her water with stresscoat. It went away in about 3 days. Now, she has a large yellow patch on her right side, just below her dorsal fin . I can't tell if she's missing more scales, or if she's just marbeling (the patch looks like pineapple coloring). She's eating normally and acting normally, and is as active as ever. Everything in her tank except the gravel has been used by previous fish that have never had this problem. Is this something I should be worried about???? I'm very confused about this whole thing .
Here's a photo of what she normally looks like:

And this is her now (the patch is directly below the dorsal fin):

Here's a better photo (i know she's a bit bloated, i accidentally over fed her yesterday she also may be a bit eggy):

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Oops, forgot the sticky!!! D=

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? mid-high 70's
Does your tank have a filter? yes, not running at the moment, it blows her around too much =P
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?none
Is your tank heated? no, as it is summer, and the house is consistently warm.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin color enhancing betta pellets, along with either a small pinch of Omega One betta buffet flakes or a freeze dried bloodworm.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily, in the early afternoon.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? One 50% and one 75-100% every week to ten days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin betta water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She had a small yellow spot on her left side, and now she has a large yellow patch on her right side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last week/this afternoon.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no treatments yet, but i'm about to do atleast a 50% water change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?none.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I think she's about 8 months old.

Last edited by Indyfishy; 08-30-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #3 
DragonFish

That, honestly, sounds exactly like what happened to my Batman...started out as this little patch on his dorsal a couple of months ago that has since spread out over part of his dorsal and most of his body.
Acts totally normal, eats, the rest of his color is just fine, nothing is raised or bumpy or fuzzy...

But since there has been no behavior/appetite change in two months with this, plus he made it through a six-day cross country move....I've decided that somewhere in his genes he has some marble, and I've just been keeping an eye on him.

If it doesn't looked raised or fuzzy and her behavior hasn't changed, its probably the same thing Batman has...which(I assume)is some sort of marbling.

If anyone else has any opinions though....feel free to jump in; I'd like to know for sure myself.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

It definitely does look like Batman marbeled for sure, and I'm starting to think that Daisy might be marbeling as well O_o! On the yellow patch, you can still see the black outlines of each scale, so I don't think the scales are missing.... I'm going to do a 50-75% water change with stress coat just to be sure. i don't have time to do a full gravel cleaning tonight, but i will do one either tomorrow or the next day for sure! I'm not too concerned about it at the moment, as she's acting like she feels fine, so i'll just keep an eye on her. I never would have expected her to be a marbel, it seems like it's usually lighter colored bettas that marbel out. These bettas are just full of surprises lol!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Yup, thats exactly how Bats looked when I first noticed it; black edges to the scales and all.
Its usually pretty easy to spot a marble....I consider myself fairly good at colors/genes and all that after starring at so many bettas for so long xD Bats caught me by surprise though; he was this gorgeous Orchid and red Black butterfly, never in a million years would I have guessed he had marble in him. It actually totally freaked me out at first, I thought something was horribly wrong! o.o
But two months and 6 days in a little cup bumping around in a rattly RV later with no behavioral change and no fuzzyness or anything...I really don't think it could be anything besides marbling.

And I agree, she doesn't look like she would be a marble either.....Lol, these Bettas and their surprises....Clearly they must have some sort of marble back somewhere in their genes that they've been hiding ;P xD
Old 08-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

Batman is a beautiful fish, I love the iridescence on his fins!!!! It will be sooo amazing to see how his colors change throughout his life =D And I think it's really cool that he survived a treck across the country, it's amazing!! I'm so surprised that Daisy is a marble, I'm floored actually haha!!!! She's a pretty fish, but not exactly a show stopper lol so it will be really interesting to see what kind of colors she can come up with!!! I'm so excited =D
Old 08-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Aww, why thank you! :) Yup, I was bound and determined to keep him, Robin, and Anak; its been over four years since I've been without fish and almost three years since I've been without a betta, I already had to take down most of my tanks/find homes for my others....I couldn't part with these three.
And so they made the trek from Washington State, all the way over here to Illinois with me....and it was a really rough ride, lemme tell you.
And everyone made it safe, sound, and they've settled very nicely into their new home. :)

Oh, I know what you mean..surprise marble! xD Lol, I love marbles though, its SO much fun to watch how they change. I wish I had had the time to keep a pic journal on Bats.....
I love your little Daisy though, she reminds me of Athena, a girl I bred a while back <3 She was one of the ones I had to give up, sadly, but she had those same colors, she was always one of my favs.