Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #1 
Hisaki Yuki001

Itty Bitty has SBD????

Housing
What size is your tank?
A:
2.5 gallons. It's actually a 5gal divided in half and the divider is sealed in the middle so there is no water flow between the two sections at all. This is because I have the other half set up for my Mr. Moto, which has SBD and a compromised immune system.

What temperature is your tank?
A:
77-80*F
Does your tank have a filter?
A:
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
A:
Yes
Is your tank heated?
A:
yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
A:
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
A:
Crumpled tropical fish flakes due to her being still to small to eat pellets.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
A:
2 times a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
A:
1-2 times a week.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
A:
25-50% on each water change, and a 100% water change every 2-3 weeks with gravel siphon/rinse and wiping down everything.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
A:
AquaSafe declorinator and StartZyme after filter media is rinsed or replaced.

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water?
A:
Nope

If so, what are the following parameters?
A:
N/A

Ammonia:

Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your Betta fish's appearance changed?
A:
Her tummy is swollen and since she's see-through due to her coloring it looks like there's an air bubble inside her tummy on her right side just underneath her tummy. The air bubble seems to come and go as far as size goes from time to time. When the bubble's size goes down, she has no trouble swimming at all.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
A:
She having trouble swimming around. When she does swim around, once she stops she floats towards the surface. When at rest she seems to be stuck at the surface most of the time. Sometimes she'll lean to her left on her side with the right side pointing upwards. Other than this, she acts completely normal.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
A:
I started noticing these symptoms on and of since I got her. When I first got her she was about 4-6weeks old, so I thought the only symptom she had at the time, her hanging out at the surface was just due to malnourishment and her still developing. As she got bigger though, I started to notice this air bubble thing that seemed to come and go.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
A:
Since she's still growing slowly but surely, I keep the water very fresh, doing water changes whenever it looks like uneaten food starts to build up a bit since she'll eat it if I don't. Note: Her first tank had no gravel since she was so small.

In her new divided side of the 5 gallon I'm doing frequent water changes just in case it's something like a virus or bacteria. I added a slight dose of Betta revive last night just in case it's not genetic. When the swelling gets to bad I also add a dose of sea salt to the tank since I've noticed this helps a bit.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
A:
Other than seeing this air bubble thing come and go since she got big enough to see her tummy, no.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
A:
About 2-2 1/2 months old.

Note:
I'm thinking it's possibly genetic SBD or a bacterial infection of some kind, maybe. I was just wondering what you guys think.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #2 
LaLaLeyla

Im just wondering, what does SBD stand for? ^^'
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

SBD is swim bladder disorder, which is basically they are having trouble or cannot control their swim bladder to stay level and go to all depths of the tank.

You could try her in qt with 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt (premix before adding her) for 10 days to see if she improves any. I know flakes can cause bloating issues too, but if she's too small for pellets, there's really no other choice. Have you tried crushing the pellets or soaking them for her? Soaked pellets are a lot softer and don't expand in the stomach like when you just plop them in the water. they might be easier for her to eat them then.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
SBD is swim bladder disorder, which is basically they are having trouble or cannot control their swim bladder to stay level and go to all depths of the tank.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #5 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:

You could try her in qt with 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt (premix before adding her) for 10 days to see if she improves any. I know flakes can cause bloating issues too, but if she's too small for pellets, there's really no other choice. Have you tried crushing the pellets or soaking them for her? Soaked pellets are a lot softer and don't expand in the stomach like when you just plop them in the water. they might be easier for her to eat them then.
Thank you for the response. I will try the salt mix for ten days. I have noticed that salt added in her tank does seem to help. If she relapses afterward I might just continue adding it on a normal basis. That's what I've done with Mr. Moto and I've seen a huge improvement since after I used anti-parasite meds for him to make sure it wasn't parasites. I know she doesn't have parasites though because, as I said, I can see through her and see her internal organs and whatnot due to her coloring.

With the feedings, I have tried crushed pellets and she does eat them but she mostly ignores them. When i tried soaking them and giving them to her she'd sit there and suck on them for a bit, then spit them out and ignore them. She'll only eat the flakes if they are moving around in the current of the tank..lol! I do plan on weaning her onto pellets in the future when she gets bigger though.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

Alright. and as far as the bubble inside of her you were talking about, was the behind her stomach? It could possibly be her swim bladder. I've got a little cellophane girl right now where I can see most of her organ, her swim bladder being especially prominent.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #7 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
Alright. and as far as the bubble inside of her you were talking about, was the behind her stomach? It could possibly be her swim bladder. I've got a little cellophane girl right now where I can see most of her organ, her swim bladder being especially prominent.
I'm not sure. It looks like her swim bladder but it's right underneath and behind her stomach and located on her right side instead of in the middle. It's also located right in front of where she poops as a better description which is really weird, sorry couldn't think of the technical name for it rectum/ect.

Also, after putting the Betta Revive in her tank yesterday, it looks like it disappeared today. Like I said though, it comes and goes...really weird.

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 08-31-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:42 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

Hmm. I don't know much about internal organs on fish.

http://www.geocities.ws/dcbettabarracks/anatomy2.JPG

I found this a little helpful since it diagrams pretty well. From what you say, maybe it's her bladder or uterus?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #9 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
Hmm. I don't know much about internal organs on fish.

http://www.geocities.ws/dcbettabarracks/anatomy2.JPG

I found this a little helpful since it diagrams pretty well. From what you say, maybe it's her bladder or uterus?
In that case It's between her heart and anus. It's no where near her swim bladder. Thanks for the pic, it helped a lot.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #10 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisaki Yuki001 View Post
In that case It's between her heart and anus. It's no where near her swim bladder. Thanks for the pic, it helped a lot.
I think that might be where the female keeps her eggs then. It wouldn't make sense for them to be way in the middle of the body if they're going to swell once they get eggy (Seems like it would put a lot of pressure on everything else). And it seems to be where the ovipositor is too.