Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #1 
creativek14

Unhappy Hercules has an Achilles heel

Housing
What size is your tank? I switched him from a one gallon bowl today to a smaller one, so its easier to do daily changes
What temperature is your tank? about 70-75
Does your tank have a filter? no since he's been moved
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he's a bachelor

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, 4 pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? complete change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? today when I changed him i put in a smidge of an ammonium tablet and some aquarium salt

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he has a tear in his back fin, and they seem close together like stuck and shrunk.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? slightly, lethargic and is floating at the top often, though he is still responsive, but he won't eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I've been gone the past 4 days, so my grandma said he started this yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? aquarium salt, and daily water changes.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no not at all
How old is your fish (approximately)?

please help? I don't want him to die, and yes I know he needs a heater, but this is the only medical tank I have and I need to be careful because of Irene and power outtages.
creativek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #2 
Myates

How often were you changing his water in the 1gal? Says once a week. Ammonia could of built up, normally it is recommended 1 50% and 1 100% per week for a 1gal, some even do it every other day.
The temp does need to be raised. If your 1gal is heated, you could just use that one and bring temp up to 80-82, with 1tsp AQ salt and daily water changes for 10 days. Colder water will make them lethargic.
Adult bettas can survive up to 2 weeks with no food, so he won't starve missing a few days. I would try soaking his pellets in garlic juice to see if that gets him going, they tend to love that stuff. Also any frozen food such as brine shrimp, blood worms, etc would be a good mix for him to help boost him up.
Make sure there aren't any deco in the tank that could rip his fins, check to make sure there are no black edges. As well as consider it happened when you last changed his water if you use a net to scoop him out. He may of just nipped them himself as well.
I have no idea what an ammonia tablet is, but would recommend a dechlorinater that is liquid form to use to rid of the chlorine and balance the trates/trites. He may of nibbled the tablet?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #3 
creativek14

He's doing a bit better now, I've been changing the water daily and the temp has gone up. I just got back my power today so all the fish are going back into their tanks :) he's started to eat food, and yea I do use the dechlorinator as welll. Thank youu :)
creativek14 is offline   Reply With Quote