Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #1 
Potential4Evil

Question The Big Blue Betta: College life for Chum-Fu

Ok so as youve guys have seen me around you know Im a new owner to a lil blue male (as seen in my icon) named Chum-Fu. Im a college student so greatly appreciate affordable college fund appropriate solutions! Also ne advice is greatly appreciated as Ive come to love lil Chum-Fu.

this is the tank i currently have for him and since i got him last friday, has been making a decent size bubble nest around the edges. I just bought a heater for his tank off amazon since no matter what room i keep him in my apartment, his water just gets a lil too cold. Hes currently under a lampi have and seems to be doing a decent job. I have water conditioner, food, and washed his decor properly.

But I have a few questions:

As you can see he has bamboo and everything that could keep a betta happy (or decently happy) but every time I get close to the tank he hides under the bamboo in the corner. What can i do to get him to come to the tank when im around? I've had him only a week and already a lil attached to him, (mostly because im having cat withdrawals) and I enjoy the company. My neighbor has surround sound that vibrates his tank sometimes, is it stress?

I got him Topfin 7 day feeders and Aqueon pellets (2-3 a day) but havent seen him eat yet. Hes jutting around the tank and resting now and then, is it possible hes sick already or what am i doing wrong?

Am i doing alright with changing his water 50% one day and then 100% 3 days later? I have a hectic school life and try to change his water when i can especially now as I read the forums and see I should be changing his water more often then my boss does hers (.25 gal 100% once a week).
Potential4Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #2 
Potential4Evil

current pics of his tank in my living room, water bottle is filled with hot water serving as a makeshift heater for his tank until the new one comes.

current pic of him, just took not more then 2 mins ago
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

What is the topfin 7 day feeder for? Bettas can easily survive 2 weeks without food. If you are going to be gone for a few days he would be fine. Those feeders tend to do more harm than good really.
Good you are getting a heater. Do you have a thermometer?
He could use some more hiding spots. They like to feel secure. There is a cute little pagoda at petsmart or petco that would match your bamboo nicely.
Watch out for that betta hammock. It has been known to rust or end up with an exposed wire. Someone had a betta that was killed because of it.

Dont worry about him not eating. As said, bettas can go quite a while without food. If you really want to, get some frozen (not freeze dried) bloodworms. Those are appetizing to some of the most stubborn fish!
The water change schedule sounds good, but how big is your tank? If you can, an ammonia test kit is always good to have. The strips are not very accurate.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #4 
Potential4Evil

@kyt its a 1.9gallon almost 2 gallon tank, I already took the wire out of the hammock, and would a glazed ceramic piece work ok for a hiding spot? I use my digital thermometer with cover to test the water. The 7 day feeder is if youre going to be away for awhile and I thought maybe it i could put it in in case he wasnt eating because he didnt like the pellets and i didnt want him to starve.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #5 
Princess Penny

Be careful with the bamboo - it's not a true aquatic plant and may start to rot. (If it's live bamboo, if it's just fake or plastic or something then nevermind!)

As far as getting him to be more "social" - I would just give him some time to settle in. When I switched my betta to a bigger tank, it took about a week before he was being really brave and putting on a show for me :)

Like Kytkattin said, you might also want to add a few more decorations/hiding spots. Bettas like a somewhat crowded tank - the more places to hide, the better! Mine is pretty bare too, and I know what it's like to be on a budget. Just keep in mind that most materials are aquarium-safe, as long as it isn't sharp or anything like that which could hurt your betta :) I have a small ceramic flower pot in mine as a cave for my betta. I would try browsing the dollar store or something like that. You can also glue things together to make little caves/decorations with aquarium adhesive, like stones!

He doesn't look sick, like I said, he is probably still adjusting which may be why he isn't eating much. I wouldn't leave in the feeder unless you are going to be gone for a long time, it will probably mess up the water conditions. Just try giving him a couple of pellets once a day. If he doesn't eat them with in a few minutes, scoop them out. Maybe try backing off and watching him to see if he eats from a distance in case he is still uncomfortable with being watched. You could also try freeze-dried bloodworms, which would normally just be used as a treat but if you are really worried about him eating something, you could try it until he starts eating normally.

Sounds like you are doing the water changes right. Good job :)

Overall, I would say he is still adjusting to his awesome new life with you! He looks healthy, so I would try not to worry too much. You're doing a good job so far!
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

if you happen to have a coffee mug, you can use that as a hiding spot for him...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #7 
DragonFish

+1 To the advise given.

To add a little(and probably mainly back up what the others are saying...):

-The 7-day feeders are no good; fish rarely eat them and all they do is destroy your water quality. Go ahead and trash them. Like stated previously, bettas can go 2 weeks without food....he won't starve, he will eat when he is hungry if you keep offering him pellets. I promise ;)

-Keep offering him pellets until he eats them. When he gets hungry enough, he'll take them. I know it can be nerve-wreaking and frustrating, but keep strong! He will give in eventually.
Don't feed him anything else until he eats the pellets, but after he starts eating regularly its always good to offer a little variety in the form of frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp(just a few thawed in some tank water offered to replace one meal 1-3 times a week). I suggest staying away from freeze-dried, they have very little nutritional value and with all the potential bloating issues its more trouble then its worth bothering with it IMO.

-In a tank that size(I have one about the same size I've had for four years, so I know how dirty they get and how quickly), I suggest 100% water changes every other day. And don't worry, its not going to stress your boy out too much, he will get accustomed to the routine.
You can also offer him a pellet or two in he cup when you do your water changes, he might then associate the cup with food and be a little more willing.

-Definitely get some more cover in there, a little cave and another silk plant or so would be perfect. Bettas come from densely planted, dark waters in the wild; they feel more comfortable the more there is in their tank and when they're more comfortable, they'll come out more(as advised previously). The little pagoda is pretty cheap too, I had it(and gave it away along with a fish and setup when I moved)and my boy adored it. It would go well with your bamboo(which is fake isn't it? If it is thats just fine; its just the real bamboo can rot, as stated previously)
I use the clay flowerpots for all of my guys; they're like....lest then a dollar at the craft store(and I stuff the little hole with filter sponge to prevent anyone from getting stuck).
I wouldn't suggest anything thats glazed; you never know whats in that glaze.

-Its good that you're getting a heater; he'll perk up a little more in the more stable temp I bet.

Lets see....I think I got everything.
Anywho, you have a lovely boy there and I wish you the very best of luck with him. And, as always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #8 
Laki

Lovely and serene set up there!! I am also a college student and got betta for a bit of something to take care of on the desk that we can look at and play with! :)

I was never a fan of the multi-day feeders. Garbage as far as I'm concerned.

Best of luck! once the heater comes he'll perk up. All betta's are different in personality so your little guy just needs some time :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #9 
Potential4Evil

I appreciate all the help and hope to apply it to my new betta seeing as Chum-Fu passed away last night from stress while i was cleaning his tank
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #10 
Laki

O.o Oh no! I'm so sorry!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7 day feeders, hiding, new betta