Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #1 
Vaughan06

How Can I Better Heat My Tank?

I have a divided 5 gallon tank, and my Tetra 2-15 heater isn't heating the water well enough. Before I divided the tank, it kept the water at a constant 76 degrees. Now, it struggles to keep the water above 72 and constantly stays around 74.

Can two heaters be used? Should I invest in a better heater?

Any help is appreciated. My tank is divided using plastic mesh, so I really do not know why the water isn't circulating well. It fills up evenly with no blockages.

You can see in this picture that the heater is located in the center of the tank, and my thermometer is on the far left (not visible.).

Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

If you have a baffled filter, which you probably should for bettas, then that might be causing the heat to not circulate well. Or do you not have a filter at all? I can't see one in the picture. As I posted in your other topic, mine heats fairly evenly, but I do have a filter. It is a Hagen Aquaclear 30. It is baffled so much that the surface of the water is perfectly still, but my guess is that it is why I don't have any problems with heat. It also makes maintenance a dream.
So I would suggest either getting a good filter. I am not sure if 2 heaters would be safe. Someone else should weigh in on that...
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #3 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
If you have a baffled filter, which you probably should for bettas, then that might be causing the heat to not circulate well. Or do you not have a filter at all? I can't see one in the picture. As I posted in your other topic, mine heats fairly evenly, but I do have a filter. It is a Hagen Aquaclear 30. It is baffled so much that the surface of the water is perfectly still, but my guess is that it is why I don't have any problems with heat. It also makes maintenance a dream.
So I would suggest either getting a good filter. I am not sure if 2 heaters would be safe. Someone else should weigh in on that...
I have a filter but I've never used it. I've always felt the tank is easier to clean once a week.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #4 
BettaGirl290

:o i have that exact heater and it does me just fine, but TWO heaters would be dangerous, it could over heat and kill your fish.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #5 
Vaughan06

I wonder if it isn't heating well because it is at the top of the water. I use to place it horizontally along the bottom of the tank. I placed it in the top-middle this time hoping it would equally heat both halves.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #6 
BettaGirl290

its better to put it on the bottom of the tank, that way it heats better!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

Well if you don't have a filter going do keep in mind that the only water movement is going to come from your fish moving around. Like I said before, mine is baffled so my fish hardly even know it is there. I don't use carbon, only sponges and ceramics, so I only need to take them out every other week and give them a squeeze in old tank water (still do weekly water changes of 25-40%). Once the cycle is up and running it really is a breeze, imo.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote