Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #1 
Reece

Question Betta fish water help plz!

Hey everyone. Tomorrow I'm getting my first betta and I'm getting a single male! Just one thing, I've watched a few videos and in all of them the water level of the tank doesn't go all the way to the top, and there is a small gap imbetween the surface area and the rim of the tank. About 2cm. Is that gap needed? If so why? Also, how often do I need to do water changes? I have a filter and it is a 10g tank. Thanks for any help!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 
Banicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Hey everyone. Tomorrow I'm getting my first betta and I'm getting a single male! Just one thing, I've watched a few videos and in all of them the water level of the tank doesn't go all the way to the top, and there is a small gap imbetween the surface area and the rim of the tank. About 2cm. Is that gap needed? If so why? Also, how often do I need to do water changes? I have a filter and it is a 10g tank. Thanks for any help!
Hi Reece :)

I would highly recommend reading Betta: Day One http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078 for the majority of questions when new to a Betta.

As for the 2cm gap for waterline to top of tank, I would say it is for displacement of the water if you were to place your hand into the tank. If you place your hand into the tank to place or move something, the extra volume in the tank increases the water line, so the last thing you want is an over flowing tank!

The water changes will depend greatly on what you’re planning to do. Do you plan to cycle using a filter?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #3 
Reece

The tank has already been cycled (for about 2 weeks) by 4 harlequin Rasbora and 4 zebra Danio. I recently got 4 serape tetra too but I've now decided to get a betta
Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Bettas do not do well with zebra danios. Do you have a backup plan if they don't get along? Also, at 12 fish your tank is already overstocked. Adding another 2+ inch fish will not be good.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #5 
Reece

Sorry you haven't understood, I'm taking the 12 fish out and putting the betta in
Old 08-31-2011, 05:33 AM   #6 
ollief9

Where are the 12 fish going?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #7 
Reece

I'm taking the zebra danios and te Serpae tetra back to the pet store. One question. Will a male betta be ok with 6 harlequin Rasbora in a 10 gallon tank? Sounds ok. I can't imagine the harlequins being aggressive and in a pack of 6 they should feel safe
Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #8 
Princess Penny

Bettas need access to the surface of the water in order to breathe. That is probably why you are seeing a low water level in the videos. They also don't like heavy currents in their water, so be careful with the filter. If it has an adjustable flow, turn it down so the water surface isn't disturbed very much.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #9 
ollief9

About the filter, I watched your video and it seems the filter is making wierd gargling noises. Is the powerhead properly submerged or is the filter actually fine?
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #10 
Reece

No that's normal. It's just the sound that the oxygen pump thing makes when it spits out bubbles