Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #1 
LaLaLeyla

How long would it take for this tank to cycle?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11100218
I bought this at petsmart for my two betta fish to be in. Their in a one gallon critter keeper now. :P

So how long would it take you think?
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #2 
flowerslegacy

Hi lalaleyla - Tanks under 5 gals are very unstable in regards to cycling. They produce multi mini cycles and prove unhealthy. For a 2.5gal, they just require frequent water changes. That's an awesome tank by the way :)
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 AM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

my bf used to have that tank .. he abandoned it because his betta would jump up into the filter bed and get stuck .. even after attempts to baffle it .. we duno how the little guy kept getting in there .. which is across the top half of the tank .. and it would never stay cycled .. any little thing would just re-set the cycle and we'd have to start all over again ..

even my 5g (which apparently has restarted it's cycle for the 3rd time).. is unstable after cycling it .. i think i'm going to have to stick 2 filter bags in there .. and alternate rinsing .. to keep the good bacteria .. i duno .. but from my experience .. even 5g is a pain to cycle

my 20g took 3 weeks to in fish cycle .. and it hasn't restarted since .. even when i completely replaced the filter media .. it was still stable

my bf's 10g took 2 weeks to cycle (he used water from my 20g)

oh and on a side note .. the separator thing in that tank is unreliable .. my bf put his betta in with the divider to see how well it would work .. since he was thinking of getting a 2nd betta .. and so he put his betta on one side .. and then the next day his little guy slipped to be in the other side .. we tried it for a few days and he'd slip back an forth .. duno how @_@ .. so aside from permanently silicone gluing it to the sides of the tank (which is still no guarantee it will still keep bettas separated) .. he just decided to abandon it and get a 10g instead ..

and with petco's $1 / gallon tank sale going on right now.. that means it would be cheeper to get a 10g tank for $10 .. a better filter which is like 9.99 .. and would be cheeper then getting that tank kit =) .. just another option to think about =) .. if u have the space .. go for the 10g

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 08-31-2011 at 01:47 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

Yikes :S
I just spent alot of money on a heater and decorations for this for my bettas x.x
Well Im gonna have to see how it works. Because I can't afford anything else :/
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #5 
LaLaLeyla

So would this tank be better of for just one betta?
Because I have two and I would feel bad if one had to stay in his 1 gallon while the other roams around in a 2.5 gallon filtered/heated tank xD
Old 08-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #6 
flowerslegacy

@mistress obviously has a lot more experience with your specific tank. Bettas are curious little guys! I use the sponge baffle on my 10 gals because my female VT would be up inside the bottle baffle in a heartbeat! I would agree that putting one betta per 2.5gals is best. Most experienced betta keepers reccomend nothing less in size. My expertise is the larger tanks and cycling, so I won't be much help beyond the cycling questions. However, if you do decide to upgrade to a 10gal, you'll probably want to go with a "kit". It includes the tank, hood, filter, heater, ect. If you buy them separately it can be pricey, and with a 10 gal you'll need to cycle it.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #7 
LaLaLeyla

So I guess I can just put my bettas in today? The filter and heater have been on for a few hours. Im just getting my betta acclimated to the water their now c:
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #8 
LaLaLeyla

Well Lemon and Barney are now chillin in their new tank. At first that kind of a flare war but now their calmed down c:
Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #9 
flowerslegacy

Assuming your two bettas are separated by a divider?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #10 
LaLaLeyla

Yeah.
But some how the managed to switch sides o.o
So one of the bettas is back in his critter keeper until I figure out what happened :/