Betta Fish Forum banner

How long would it take for this tank to cycle?

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  bahamut285 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hi lalaleyla - Tanks under 5 gals are very unstable in regards to cycling. They produce multi mini cycles and prove unhealthy. For a 2.5gal, they just require frequent water changes. That's an awesome tank by the way :)

#3 · (Edited)
my bf used to have that tank .. he abandoned it because his betta would jump up into the filter bed and get stuck .. even after attempts to baffle it .. we duno how the little guy kept getting in there .. which is across the top half of the tank .. and it would never stay cycled .. any little thing would just re-set the cycle and we'd have to start all over again ..

even my 5g (which apparently has restarted it's cycle for the 3rd time).. is unstable after cycling it .. i think i'm going to have to stick 2 filter bags in there .. and alternate rinsing .. to keep the good bacteria .. i duno .. but from my experience .. even 5g is a pain to cycle

my 20g took 3 weeks to in fish cycle .. and it hasn't restarted since .. even when i completely replaced the filter media .. it was still stable

my bf's 10g took 2 weeks to cycle (he used water from my 20g)

oh and on a side note .. the separator thing in that tank is unreliable .. my bf put his betta in with the divider to see how well it would work .. since he was thinking of getting a 2nd betta .. and so he put his betta on one side .. and then the next day his little guy slipped to be in the other side .. we tried it for a few days and he'd slip back an forth .. duno how @_@ .. so aside from permanently silicone gluing it to the sides of the tank (which is still no guarantee it will still keep bettas separated) .. he just decided to abandon it and get a 10g instead ..

and with petco's $1 / gallon tank sale going on right now.. that means it would be cheeper to get a 10g tank for $10 .. a better filter which is like 9.99 .. and would be cheeper then getting that tank kit =) .. just another option to think about =) .. if u have the space .. go for the 10g

#6 ·
@mistress obviously has a lot more experience with your specific tank. Bettas are curious little guys! I use the sponge baffle on my 10 gals because my female VT would be up inside the bottle baffle in a heartbeat! I would agree that putting one betta per 2.5gals is best. Most experienced betta keepers reccomend nothing less in size. My expertise is the larger tanks and cycling, so I won't be much help beyond the cycling questions. However, if you do decide to upgrade to a 10gal, you'll probably want to go with a "kit". It includes the tank, hood, filter, heater, ect. If you buy them separately it can be pricey, and with a 10 gal you'll need to cycle it.

#9 ·
Assuming your two bettas are separated by a divider?

#11 ·
I have the 5gallon version of this tank and it is nearly impossible to divide because of the bow front...

I say keep one of your guys in the KK and one in the 2.5G.

@Mistress: 5 Gallons to cycle is not impossible, but smaller changes are required because they are easily upset. Testing is better than blindly doing water changes I find >_<

#13 ·
Mistress/bahamut: Question for the both of you >.> I'm about to get a 5g, so yeah xD Anyway, as far as the cycling goes, maybe a sponge filter would do better in the tank (if not used together with the filter that's already with the tank)? I haven't tried it just yet, and I'm certainly no expert when it comes to this... but from what I've researched, sponge filters help hold benificial bacteria, they still filter the tanks, and you won't have to worry about your betta attempting scuicide, pushed around, or getting sucked into it and it's easy to adjust the air pressure on the off chance it becomes too intense. Aside from sponge filters not being aestetically appealing, the main drawback to the sponge filter is that it falls short in chemical filtration (like carbon and other absorbents)... but apparently aquariums don't need constant chemical filtration, and regular water changes somewhat negate the need for chemical filtration, so yeah >.> I'm assuming something like a 5g would do nicely with just a sponge filter, but like I said, I'm not 100% on this.. just my two cents and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, 'cause I definitely don't want to be learning things the wrong way.

#14 ·
@bahamut
does that mean i only do water changes when i see the numbers off? and then i don't do them every week anymore .. cus i noticed if i do a 50% .. it kind of goes unstable .. cus i'll see white fuzzy things inside .. but when i do 25% changes .. everything is fine and i don't get that fuzzy growth

@sorrelhorse1
the sale is from:
8/28 - 9/17 and includes tanks in the following sizes: 10g, 20g long, 20g high, 29g, 40g, and 55g

@draug
it would depend on which kind of filter you got .. the one i use is a whisper 10i mini .. or something .. it's not the kind that u see in the stores .. it was in a tank kit .. and apparently that filter was made specifically for that tank kit .. because my bf wanted the filter i had .. but we couldn't find it anywhere .. only the regular whisper 10i's

... why did my bf especially look for my exact filter is because .. it has an adjustable water flow on it .. which is great =D .. and because it's a whisper kind .. there's plenty of space if i cut a sponge length wise .. i can just slip it in with the regular filter's media .. which is called a biobag .. which has carbon in it already .. and it's a in tank filter .. so i don't have a huge filter hanging on the outside of the tank .. the only thing is that it's takes space on the inside .. since the water kind of makes the filter look extra big .. but it's easily hide-able with some plants and decor ..

@lalaleyla
i really think u should return that tank .. and get a 10g ..

that tank is like 35.99 on a sale day .. in of itself is expensive .. and it's only 2.5g .. which means each betta only really gets 1.25g's each for themselves .. it's like if you were put in a 250sq feet room .. and there's a wall up in the middle .. you can see the other area .. but u can never go there .. your stuck in ur confined 125sq foot area ..

#15 ·
@Draug: As long as there is any sort of surface for bacteria to live in, they will grow there. In majority of tanks, it is in the filter media whether it be a sponge, a filter cartridge, or in the media itself. I have little or not experience with a sponge filter so all of my filters are with activated carbon and zeolite pieces.

@Mistress: If you have the capacity to measure/test everyday then that is usually what I do. You eventually get it down to a proper schedule. I've got two bettas in my 5 Gallon and I have to do 50% a week, and every other week I do an additional 25% ish. The reason why it gets upset easily is because if you remove too much water, you starve the bacteria and they die off, resulting in a minor setback in your ecosystem.

Also to be honest, having a little ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in your tank won't kill your fish, it's like "a little dirt never hurt anyone". Just make sure it doesn't get to toxic levels for extended periods of time.

#16 ·
This is where I read most of my info on sponge filters. I know good bacteria grows pretty much on any surface and I know the regular filters do still hold them, I was just figuring that since sponge filters are apparently better.. I guess better filters for good bacteria, then wouldn't it make sense to use something like that for something as small as a 5g?

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/sponge_filtration.html

I'm not saying they're necessarily better, lord knows I'm not 'cause I've yet to try it out for myself with any kind of filter really -.-; But from what I'm reading, to me it makes sense that a sponge filter would have pros and cons, as well as a regular filter. Granted, both will work whichever route you choose, I just wanted to make a small observation and see how plausible it was, ya know?

#17 ·
Oh, interesting how it works. The filter in my biOrb has both a sponge and carbon/zeolite combo, then. It also works similarly with the bubbles drawing the water up from the bottom sponge.

I guess you can try it out. In the end, a filter is a filter, you still have to do partial water changes xD! I use a Slim 10i filter for my 5G (came with the tank) and it has an adjustable flow and TWO cartridges, so I remove one to change it while still keeping a cycle. :D

#18 ·
Lawl, I agree with the water changes xD I haven't cycled yet, so when i get my 5g, this'll be my first attempt really.. *fingers crossed*

#19 ·
Bahamut is our "water chemistry queen" :) and she made a point regarding ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, stating that it's important not to let the levels get toxic for extended periods of time. Just to clarify for any folks that are new to cycling . . . any ammonia reading over 50ppm can result in permenant gill damage and any nitrite over 0 immediately begins effecting the oxygen flow in the blood. It's important to keep those levels low, and ultimately at 0. Until you find your proper water change schedule, as she stated, " . . .make sure they don't get to toxic levels for extended periods of time."

#21 ·
@bahamut
is your slim 10i the whisper in-tank one ?

and how do u put 2 filters in it ?
just shove it in ? or do u have to mod it to fit ?

#22 ·
Twenty five years ago here in the uk people often had tanks that size and the general course of action was to do three things..... One) do weekly ten percent water changes, two) test water twice per week and three) watch... Just watch the fish and see what is normal for them. They will tell you if your water is not right. Muchis said about how and what and when but always remember to listen to your fish. On another note it is better to have two separate filters in any tank!
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
Yeah it is this rectangle shaped one that has a sponge in the front where the motor is and the outflow is kind of like a waterfall. The intake adjuster is under the lid where the cartridges are xD

I don't remember at the moment what my hood looks like (not at home right now) but I think it has two holes for if you want to put two filters (and still have a hood) but I'm not 100% sure

Also lol thanks flowers and DQ <333 Q_Q ilu guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.