Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #1 
McDerppington

Yea... I'm the new guy.Wuddup?

So I recently found a nifty crown tail beta that I thought was pretty awesome(like me) at PetLand. Naturally he recognized me as an awesome individual and telepathically said "Yeah."

Brought the little guy home and put him in a lol-tastic "Betta starter kit." It's less then a gallon but I'm looking to buy a 10g Tank. Obviously McDerppington, that's his name, doesn't need that much room to himself but I plan on getting a few more and separating the tank up a bit in the future. The layout that is building itself out in my awesome brain is...for lack of a better word, awesome. Will share more later.

SO here is a list of some stuffs I'm going to purchase for McDerppington. Curious on thoughts/opinions.

Tank? Tank. BAM!

Bring on the HEAT!

Heads up Display a.k.a. HUD

The Fresh Maker!

What wattage would be good for a 10g tank on the heater?

Any tips suggestions or thoughts would be pretty epic!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by doggyhog; 08-31-2011 at 11:47 AM.
McDerppington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

No idea about the filter, i dont use them..but the other stuff looks good. The only thing I suggest is getting this one http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752255

the stick on ones i don't think are as accurate.
also don't forget the water conditioner and aquarium salt is good to have on hand just in case...

For a ten gallon you would need at least 50 watts to heat up the water. I think its 5 watts to heat up one gallon.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #3 
McDerppington

Good call! I read it over so many times don't know how I missed it. Mind if I ask your personal preference on the two?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #4 
Princess Penny

I also prefer an in-tank thermometer, they are much more accurate. But you could use both if you wanted to be extra precise ;)

Everything else looks good... the only other thing is that I have read reviews on Amazon about that heater running a little low in 10gals, but it might work for you, the room temperature also comes into play with that. 50w is supposed to be good for up to 10gal as far as I know, depending on the heater.

My last suggestion... check out Amazon! You can usually find stuff a lot cheaper on there. For example, that heater is only $17.99 on Amazon ;)

Oh, and welcome! You're funny, I like you :D
(srsly)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

For heaters?? I got all of mine off ebay because its cheaper then paying the prices in stores here. I like adjustable ones. The preset ones don't seem to work as well. I have a 50 watt tetra one and it cant even keep a 3 gallon tank about 74
http://www.petco.com/product/114078/...pplies_Heaters <---I would advoid this one!

For Water conditioner I use stress coat which is also good to help regrow fins if they get damaged. Alot of people seem to like PRIME as a conditioner as well.

For aquarium salt---> http://www.petco.com/product/114078/...pplies_Heaters
I dont know how this is different from marine salt, but I would make sure its this one and not the stuff for salt water tanks.

plants and hiding places are good too. Silk plants are better then plastic and live ones are probably best. Water wysteria is a good one because you can let it float in the tank and its easy to take care of. Amazon sword is also a good one but that needs to be burried in the gravel. I am NOT a plant person but I haven't killed these two plants yet! Baron von fishie fins LOVES the water wysteria. He wiggles his way between the leaves and rests on it.

Indian ALmond Leaves are good to have to but hard to get unless you happen to live in Asia. Or via ebay from sellers in Asia. I'm not sure exactly what it does but when soaked in the water it turned the water brown/amber colored which makes it similar to the water they are naturally found in. it also released tannins but not sure what, exactly, this does but it seems to make bettas happy...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #6 
McDerppington

Ah! You're right. Thank you! That's a good catch! I'm horrible at shopping. If it's shiny I usually pull out my wallet drooling as I squeal "Oh a piece o' candy!" Thank you for the compliment! I'm also a laid back guy that enjoys long walks to McDonalds :P

Here is a Post in Pictures of McDerppington.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #7 
McDerppington

@ tikibirds: Thank you for the plant tips. I know I left the decor out of my OP. I should have mention that I did do some reading and wanted to buy plants locally first 1 or 2 Silk plants till I find out what living plants I want in the tank. I'm still trying to think of a theme for McDerppingtons tank... at first I was all "hurp durp asian theme" now I'm "LOL PLAYED OUT." So now I'm up in the air about it. I still might do it if I can make it look original and not out of an ikea magazine. :-/
Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #8 
SnowySurface

Hi and welcome. :)

I use the same exact filter in my tank. I had to use aquarium sponge to baffle the intake and the top lid to decrease the flow. I know most people only baffle the top, but I noticed the bottom part of the filter would suck up their fins if they got too close. Since Snowy is also a crown tail, I figured I would mention it. :)

I use a different heater but it has the same wattage as your's so you should be good. In fact, it makes the water a little warm at 79-80 degrees. I haven't had any problems but I use this thermometer since I don't like the stick on type either. I can't have a finicky thermometer when my tank is the smallest size recomended for my heater. 50watts should be good for your 10 gallon, but don't go above 100watts or you could risk over heating the water.

Aquarium salt is only for emergencies like fin rot or an infection. If you use too much salt, you'll make salt water instead of fresh water. So you should use water conditioner to treat your water during water changes and save the salt for illnesses. I use NovAqua Plus to condiction my water. I also know some of other members also use Prime. Any conditioner will work well if it removes chlorines and heavy metals from the water.

What kind of decore are you going to purchase? Bettas like to explore, so I gave my fish as many silk plants as possible and two hiding places. You don't have to go overbored (like I did ^_^;) but Bettas do need at least 1 hiding place and some plants. My bettas like to chill in their hideouts, but some other bettas like to rest on plant leaves. It really depends on the fish.

When you do divide your 10 gallon tank, I would suggest either 1 or 2. If you divide it once each fish gets 5 gallons and 2 dividers would give each fish at least 3 gallons each. Once you break the tank up into 4 sections, each fish only gets 2 gallons which can be a bit of a bio-overload for your filter. I think most people will agree that 3 bettas in 10 gallons is a safe bet. :)

Well, thos are all the suggestions I can think of. I don't know if any of my ideas are epic, but they should be helpful. Good luck.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #9 
doggyhog

Welcome to the forum!!

I have found that HOB (hang on back) filters work best for tanks like that. My favorite that I've had is the Aqueon Power filter. You will need to baffle it, (There is a sticky for baffling filters in the tank section) because it is a little bit too powerful for a betta, but it works amazingly.

My favorite heaters are Marineland visi therm heaters. They are the absolute best. I have had so many issues with other heaters, but the visi therms never fail you!! :) They are a bit pricey but IMO are the best.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #10 
Princess Penny

If you aren't up to live plants just yet, I would suggest trying a moss ball - they are easy and cute. Plus it would go with your Asian theme ;) You can usually find them at the chain stores as well as local fish shops. All you really have to do is rinse them out and plop them in, and rotate them every so often. They will do wonders for your water quality!
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote