Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #1 
Dwong

Bump on snout help!

Hello over a week ago a bump which looks like a pimple on my bettas snout formed. Can someone please help me help her and cure it and find out what this is? Also she is housed with 5 zebra danios in a filtered and heated 10 gallon tank temperature is 78 degrees Fahrenheit, is on a diet of Hikari Betta bio gold, and water changes are once a month with api stress coat plus.Thanks

Here is the is the link for the picture of the bump:

http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/.../Rubys%20bump/

Last edited by Dwong; 06-19-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Dwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Is the bump this? And is your tank cycled? Have you seen any of the danios nipping at her before?
Attached Images

Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Forgot to ask: is she eating okay? And welcome to the forum, dwong.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #4 
Dwong

Thanks,yes that is the bump the tank is cycled, and she still acts normal and is always swimming around and eats good. The danios used to nip her tail ocassionally awhile ago but no damage was visible, but now they stopped since she now chases them away.

Last edited by Dwong; 06-19-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #5 
Sakura8

It really does look like a giant pimple. I've never seen anything like it. I would send a private message to Oldfishlady and ask her to look at this. I'm worried it might be a tumor. I'm sorry I can't be of more help but someone like OFL, who has a lot more experience and knowledge would know more.

Also, do you get a lot of little gas bubbles in your tank, especially after changing the water? And have you ever seen Ruby with lots of bubbles on her? There's a super slim possibility she has Gas Bubble Disease. But it's a slim possiblity . . .
Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #6 
Dwong

There are no bubbles on her ill pm oldfishlady anyways thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Sorry I couldn't help more. Oldfishlady will know more.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Look up Lymphocystis and see if that fits what she has....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #9 
Dwong

It seems that it is lymphocytis, there is only one bump is there a remedy for it and should I isolate her from the rest of the tank?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

If its Lymphocystis......it is viral and no treatment, however, generally it is not fatal unless the fish get a secondary infection and already has a weak immune response or it impedes eating and/or swimming....sometimes it will resolve on it own and other times it grows and drops cysts that can be picked up again or by other fish and if they have a compromised immune response then it can be passed...otherwise, the fish immune response usually keeps it at bay.......

One of the biggest reasons for compromised immune response and sick fish...... is stress caused from poor water quality, over crowding, poor stocking...etc......and sadly your 10gal filtered/heated tank- with 5 Danios and monthly water changes fits that.....its just a matter of time before you start to see other problems unrelated to the bump on her nose.....

I would start by making 25% daily water changes for 2 days-then 50% for 2 days then 50% weekly with good vacuuming thereafter with an established nitrogen cycle....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote