Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #1 
StarBetta

Exclamation Help!!! What just happened?!

I was outside right now buying something and when i got back everything was messed up! My sister saved my fish!!!! she said that she was getting something on the cabinet my betta fish was on and she didnt notice and the cabinet FELL! The first thing on my sisters mind was like THE FISH!!! NOOO! She grabbed his tank which was spilling water and she ran to the kitchen and filled it up with water and when she got back she ran and slipped and the tank flew out of her hand and landed safely on the bed.when i got home my mom just threw my betta in the 10 gallon for safety. so i put medication in the tank with my other fish. will my betta and the other platy be okay?
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #2 
Neil D

So is there only a platy in with the betta? I would think they should be ok. If in doubt, just use a glad container and fill it with the 10g tank water and float that in the 10g. What meds are you using?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #3 
StarBetta

im using bettafix for my betta and also my platy is eating betta food and going crazy... while my betta is asleep in the corner of the tank.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Be careful with the bettafix; despite its name, it's really not good for bettas. There's an ingredient in it that can potentially harm a betta's labyrinth organ. I know, stupid product, why didn't they test/research it first??

How are your betta and platy doing now? That was awesome of your sister to save the fish.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #5 
Neil D

Why are you medicating him? Is there an injury? I would not medicate him/them if they aren't injured. Plus, as sakura said, bettafix isn't considered dafe. If you wanna make him feel better, you can buy a decaf, green tea with NO flavoring and just plop it in the betta tank. It calms them, because of the tannins. I'm not sure how plates will do with it.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 
DarkMoon17

Wow, I hope your sister is ok too... If he doesn't appear injured and is only stressed then it would be best to just treat him for the stress. Don't use Bettafix. Seriously bad advertising x/. Keeping him with other fish right now could really stress him out considering he has probably never seen those fish before. If you have the container he came in or a small tupperware (clean it with vinegar and rinse well) then float him in it in the 10 gal. If you have decaf tea that would be a good therapeutic treatment for him. Soak the tea bag in dechlorinated water until it is tea colored. You can use hot water but let it cool to room temp before adding. Add it to his cup *slowly* over the course of an hour or so. While he is in the cup do daily 100% water changes. Make sure the temps are close to avoid shock. StressCoat is a great "med" you could use as well. Give him a few days in the cup before moving him back to his original home.

Good luck and keep us posted :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #7 
StarBetta

@NeilD- well the other day my betta had this big red swollen spot and i told the petland worker and he said to use bettafix and he said its probably velvet but now my betta is better. Bad news (i think) is that theres weird stripes on him. but you can only see it when hes in the light (like you can see through him) he sorta looks like a tiger.

@Darkmoon17- well my betta is eating alot now and sleeping alot. he doesnt really look stressed to me but im not sure. btw i think my platy is a tetra i actually forgot
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #8 
Neil D

Are the stripes vertical??
Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #9 
Comet1993

When your sister filled the tank up with water, did she dechlorinate it? I keep getting this picture of someone rushing into the kitchen and putting straight tap water into the tank from the faucet, not meaning to hurt the fish, just in sort of a panic. :/
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #10 
StarBetta

@Neil D- no horizontal. is that bad?
@Comet1993- well no she forgot. and i forgot too. :(