Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #1 
htunmire

Betta died . . .

So I have a few questions so that I don't make the same mistakes again.

1. The betta was living in a vase that held approximately 1/4 gallon, not heated, no filter, and no decorations while I was moving and setting up his new habitat. I did 100% water switches each day and feed him three pellets of "Atison's Betta Food" twice a day. No uneaten for was left in the water. His water was also treated with Prime.
2. The problems began when I transferred him to a new 2.5 gallon bowl, with a heater and some anachris plants. At first he was lethargic and later he would hide at the top of the bowl behind the heater. I thought he was just adjusting to the new area and I woke up this morning to find he had moved on to better place. I ordered a testing kit for the water and was planning on doing 50% water swaps until I could accurately test the parameters. The bowl was not cycled either, which I assume was the large problem. But could the ammonia in the new habitat build up to toxic levels in time frame of less than 24hrs?

The purpose of this is to address the key issues of the demise of my betta so that I don't end up causing harm to another, which would weigh my conscious down. Thanks in advance for the help.
htunmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM   #2 
EverythingNice55

Aha! I think pellets are good SNACKS, not really meals.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #3 
EverythingNice55

Don't worry, I made the same mistake!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #4 
Vaughan06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingNice55 View Post
Aha! I think pellets are good SNACKS, not really meals.
Can you please explain what you are talking about?
Vaughan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #5 
TequilatheBetta

Actually, Atison's pellets are an excellent choice of food for your betta. Pellets should be the main meal- freeze dried and frozen should be used as treats or for conditioning.
With bettas, I don't think that ammonia could build up so fast. You treated the water, right? Was there any toxins in the decorations? Was the water too cold?
very sorry for your loss.
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #6 
Amphibianite

Very sorry about your loss
1 how long did you have him?
2 how long did he live in that vase?
3 Pellets are a fine meal actually, it is always best to substitute some sort of other food with them a few times a week, like bloodworms, brine shrimp, even regular shrimp cooked then chopped up very fine.

I had two boys who sorta went like yours. Even when you do everything right something can go wrong that we don't know about. Could be he was sick before you got him and didn't know it. I had two boys 1 died in 3 days of having him, the other in 4 days of getting him. Both were from the same LFS and same shipment so to me that tells me there was something wrong with the shipment and they had some disease before I got them.
All 6 of my boys are healthy and happy now and 1 of them is from the same LFS
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 
htunmire

Thanks for the replies.

The water was treated using Prime by Seachem. As far as the decorations go, all I have is the gravel substrate and the anachris plants, both of which I rinsed in warm water several times before I added them to the bowl. The heater was working fine, but I couldn't check the true accuracy of it because I don't have a thermometer. He lived in the vase for almost two and half weeks. Could it have been the shock of too much change at once that got to him?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #8 
SnowySurface

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. :(

It sounds like he died from shock. When I transfered my bettas from their 1 gallon tanks to their 5 gallon tanks I let them adjust in stages. First, I filled a fish bag (a container that floats would also work) with 100% of their old water and floated the bag in the tank for about 30 minutes. Once the bag water and tank water were the same temp, I added enough new water to make the bag water 50:50 old water:new water. After another 15 minutes or so, I let him out into the tank.

This way takes about an hour or so, but you can't rush a fish into completely different water without any adjustment time. There was a 4 degree temp difference between the tanks, so that's why he had to float in his bag for so long. If the tank temperatures were closer, then he could float foe a shorter time.

It's like stepping out of a suana and then jumping into a cold pool. A human with a heart condition could have a heart attack due to temperature shock. Fish will do something similar since their body tempurature is the water tempurature. Since your vase didn't have a heater, it was probably the change in water themp that killed him. If you acclimate your next fish before putting him in a new tank, you shouldn't have the same problem. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #9 
htunmire

That could of been it, but he was alive in the new bowl for most of the day. I did try and acclimate him, but I was hasty and only floated him for 15 minutes and did the 50/50 for another fifteen. That is a good tip for the next fish though, thanks.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #10 
jman828

Sorry for your loss. It may have been shock.
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote