Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #11 
SamanthaC02

I just bought the marineland 10w (it says for 3 gallon right on the box) today, had it in for about 5 hours now and the water has been at a steady 78 for 3 or 4 hours and doesn't seem to be getting to hot since my betta is chilling right next to it as I type this. I have it in a 3 gallon with no filter/circulation and temp seems to be pretty even around the tank. It's preset to 78F, I couldn't find any small/low watt adjustable ones

I'm happy with the purchase so far!
Here's a link to it:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...n=Fish+Heating
SamanthaC02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #12 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
Is this 25w heater adjustable? I assumed it wasn't since it says pre-set.
it is, the knob on top is for adjusting it, that's why it mentions 68 to 86 degrees, think when it says pre set it just means it's supposed to come already adjusted to 78, though I still ended up spending a day or so tweaking it slightly
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #13 
Hikari

They don't sell the Marineland brand over here, just the Marina one that is pretty similar in design. But the Marina ones don't work as well since my Marina 10w doesn't keep my fish's 2 gallon bowl warm enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
it is, the knob on top is for adjusting it, that's why it mentions 68 to 86 degrees, think when it says pre set it just means it's supposed to come already adjusted to 78, though I still ended up spending a day or so tweaking it slightly
Awesome! Then I'll definitely get the Elite. I really want to be able to control it. And it's cheaper than the Marina brand too. I've read some positive reviews about it, so I think it'll work out great.

Thank you so much to everyone for your advice and for helping me make up my mind. (^^)

Last edited by Hikari; 09-01-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #14 
Grundylady

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see page 2. Ignore this post.

There were two tetra heaters for small tanks. The HT10 is the good one. I've heard bad things about the other.

Last edited by Grundylady; 09-01-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #15 
Hikari

They don't sell the HT10 around here. The only Tetra brand heaters I could find are the ones at Walmart. They're really cheap, like $12. The smallest one was a 25w that was meant for 2 to 5 gallons. I was testing it out, and a few hours later a burning smell came from it. Luckily my fish wasn't in the tank I was testing it out in, though I don't think it would have electricuted him, but still. I don't trust this one anymore at least.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #16 
Slybarman

Another vote for the Hagen 25W elite. I have been using it in a 2 gal betta tank for 4-5 months and it works great. It holds a very accurate temperature and the indicator light is useful.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi..._tit_2_rsrssi0
Slybarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #17 
Hikari

Thanks. I've read a lot more positive reviews about this heater than negative. It seems quite popular, so I think I'll be bringing my Marina brand back and getting the 25W Elite.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #18 
Slybarman

For size reference, you can kinda see what it looks like in my 2 gallon here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwNNC5h5o7o

It is on the back right - next to the filter.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #19 
Hikari

Wow, that's a beautiful tank! Your cute little fishy looks like he's really enjoying it too. ^^
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #20 
Slybarman

Thanks.

For the $25 or so,the 2 gallon PETCO hex does make a fine little betta tank and the elite heater has been a perfect match for it. (Knock on wood) our fishy has been happy and healthy in it.

http://www.petco.com/product/113933/...-Aquarium.aspx