Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #1 
Marieukxx

Just bought this new guy is he really a dragon?

I thought dragons had white scales. Here he is, he looks soooooo sparkly

What do you think guys, honest opinions on if he's a good one or not looks wise.
Marieukxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #2 
DragonFish

The 'Dragon' gene/coloring/marking(my poor fried brain can't recall exactly which term would be the most appropriate. Ugh.)is a thick metallic coloring of the scales; making them look like the scales or 'armor' of a mythological Dragons.

The most common form is white, but they come in other colors too occasionally; like this guy who is, indeed, a MG(Mustard Gas)Dragon. His dragon isn't very thick, but hes got some dragon there ;)

Hes a very lovely boy, I adore his colors. His coloring and he seems nice and proportionate for the most part(his fins will probably grow to fit his body as he gets older, hes likely still quite young).
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #3 
Marieukxx

Yeah he's ne in from thailand I think he's pretty young they usually are.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Yup, then he looks like a gorgeous little MG dragon to me :) Congrats, I wish I had the funds to order from Thailand...there are some real beauties out there.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 
Marieukxx

I didn't order them direct a guy imports them and sells them when he gets them in. They are more expensive than the norm though but we don't see much variety in the shops here.

Do you think he'll be sparkly in reality? I've always wanted something special like this. I also liked this one:
http://bettaboys.co.uk/shop/index.ph...product_id=218

That's also the site I buy from. Which do you think is best? It's so hard choosing. I love the pinks and purples but the sparkly blue caught my eye.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #6 
Draug Isilme

I have a question since it's kind of related to the subject.. At my Petsmart, they started selling dragon scales, and of course, that's what they're all labeled as.. but dragon scale is just a color right? I believe the actual type of fish they're selling are plakats but I'm not really sure 'cause I'm a noobie at identifying fish >.>;; I bought a tiny halfmoon, and he's white and red.. from what I can tell, I'm assuming he's got the whole 'dragon scale' coloring going on 'cause the white scales are giving off that pearlescent, metallic sheen.. Is that accurate when it comes to identifying my fish as well as the other dragon scale fish?
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #7 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieukxx View Post
I didn't order them direct a guy imports them and sells them when he gets them in. They are more expensive than the norm though but we don't see much variety in the shops here.

Do you think he'll be sparkly in reality? I've always wanted something special like this. I also liked this one:
http://bettaboys.co.uk/shop/index.ph...product_id=218

That's also the site I buy from. Which do you think is best? It's so hard choosing. I love the pinks and purples but the sparkly blue caught my eye.
Yeah, I'm not sure if theres anyone like that around here....I might look into that.

Hmm....well its totally up to you, whichever strikes your fancy. I, personally, like the blue dragon boy....but thats just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
I have a question since it's kind of related to the subject.. At my Petsmart, they started selling dragon scales, and of course, that's what they're all labeled as.. but dragon scale is just a color right? I believe the actual type of fish they're selling are plakats but I'm not really sure 'cause I'm a noobie at identifying fish >.>;; I bought a tiny halfmoon, and he's white and red.. from what I can tell, I'm assuming he's got the whole 'dragon scale' coloring going on 'cause the white scales are giving off that pearlescent, metallic sheen.. Is that accurate when it comes to identifying my fish as well as the other dragon scale fish?
Dragon scaling can be tricky....it usually takes a more experienced eye to spot it.
I've seen the dragons at Petsmart, they are indeed Dragon PKs that they've just labeled as 'Dragon Scale', selling them by their coloring.
Dragons are a type of metallic; a very thick metallic.....like I said, it can be tricky...it takes a trained eye to tell the difference.
Any chance of posting a picture of your boy? You could PM it to me and I could tell you, or you could post it up in the picture section of the forum and show him off ;)
Old 09-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #8 
Draug Isilme

xD I was planning on showing him off once I get my new 5g tank. The lighting I have for the 1.5g he's sitting in right now is poor and I don't have a good enough camera that would help display his scales better.. My sister's coming into town Sunday, and she's letting me borrow her camera ^.^ I'm assuming my tank will be in by then... So yeah ^.^ I'll be sure to post pics on the picture section and I'll pm you with some close ups of him so you can better identify his coloring
Old 09-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I've had a HMPK pink dragon... the metallic scales were a light blue:

Ninja, Painter, and Avalantic were siblings and dragons with copper/silver scales:
Painter:

Ninja:

Avalantic:

Painter's looks white, but that's just how the picture came out from the seller. You can kind of see the copper on Avalantic's.

I also have a completely white dragon, I recently discovered.... But it's very hard to see, since he is all white. :P It's impossible for my kind of camera to capture it.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #10 
Draug Isilme

xD Zabimaru (my HM, maybe DS) has VERY similar markings to your HMPK at the top! Aside from the short fins, the lower part of his body has more red than white... But yeah, his face is kinda red, he's got that striping down his back with the slight bulge of red on top, his fins don't have a strong of a white in his tail, but they're still there.. I really want to say he's kind of got a dragon scale thing goin' on, but I don't wanna be wrong >.<