Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #1 
Echo

I'm about to play that game, "I'm just gonna close my eyes for a second."

if you don't want your betta a few months later, don't get the poor thing in the first place!
a co-worker wants to flush her betta because she doesn't take care of it. the poor thing is swimming on its side now, and can barely bend his body to eat. i'm gonna prep a QT tank at home tonight and bring it in, so at least it'll be taken care of AT MY DESK!.
..should give her a swirlie of her own.. *grumble*
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #2 
Silverfang

slap her for me?
hope you get him feeling better
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #3 
Echo

*sigh* so.. how does one euthanize a betta?
he's swimming on his nose.. all color is gone.. he wants to eat but can't.. he can't stay upright, he either rolls onto his nose or on his side or back.. his breathing is very labored.
i have him in a new tank, very shallow with plenty of places to perch near the surface, and he's picked a place where he's practically exposed to the air i've fiddled with his perch enough so he's covered with water, but he's on his last fin and it makes me ache watching him. his water has aquarium salt and a touch of melafix (his fins look terrible).. he's currently draped himself on a silk leaf with just a thin distance between himself and the water's surface..
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Best way to euthanize is either decapitation (most humane and fastest but hardest to actually do) or clove oil. Or take him to a vet and have them do it. That's what I plan to do if ever I have to euthanize. :/ So many of your co-workers have bettas they don't take care of but I'm glad your work there so you can rescue them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would use the clove oil method. I could never bring myself to decapitate my fish. Ew
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #6 
GreenTea

Maybe you already have, but they have the chemicals to euthanize at my local petco (theres one that takes great care of their fish) and the fish lady offered to euthanize sick fish for free. Maybe you could call and ask them if they would? I'm sure this store is an exception to the rule (they give most giant and king bettas their own tanks) but it couldn't hurt to ask. Sorry you have to do this =[
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #7 
CrowntailTwitchy57

i heard somewhere that cola knocks them out instantly because it takes all the air out of the water
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 
Comet1993

Poor little betta. :( It's nice of you to have taken him, though. I wish I could have taken my coworker's betta.. She was complaining about him and saying she didn't even care about the "stupid fish". -_- She laughed about not feeding him, and, when he died, she put him in the toilet...to scare another member of her family; she didn't flush him. I don't know why some people even have pets.. =( I'm sorry that your betta was one of those unfortunate victims of a careless previous owner.
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #9 
hmckin20

aw that poor baby :(
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #10 
Echo

Unhappy

ok, i've taken all i can with this poor thing. i managed to get him to eat a few bloodworms the other day, but the past few days he's just spit them out (i manage to thread them into his mouth, he just lays there on a bed of silk plant leaves i've woven for him). sometimes he barely breathes, sometimes it's like he's gasping for breath. sometimes he's kinked in the middle, so i know he's in pain Clove oil.. where do i get this and how much do i use?