Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #1 
fishyloohoo

HELP! i think my fish is sick!

I've had my betta for a little over a year now and he's been fine this whole time. This week I moved him from a one gallon bowl to a 5 gallon tank. There is no filter, but I've been doing water changes. I am using sand for substrate and he also has a snail in there with him. Last time I looked in on him (this morning) he was fine but now he seems very bloated and he's spending all his time at the top instead of swimming around. I have no idea what would cause this, I just did a water change (25%) yesterday and it had only been a day before that that i did a 100%. Is it possible that this could be from the sand (never used it) or that he ate the snails algae pellet? I only feed the betta 3 pellets a day, so i don't think he could just be overweight. His scales aren't sticking out at all either so I'm not sure if it would still be dropsy? Any help is welcome, thanks!
fishyloohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Definitely possible he's eaten the snails food, bettas can be little piggies. How long has he been in the 5 gal? If you could answer all the questions here it would help. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Without knowing more details I'm hesitant to suggest much other than fast him for a day or two and see if that helps.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #3 
fishyloohoo

He's been in the 5 gallon since Wednesday now.

I actually think it must have been the snails algae wafer because he just pooped and is swimming around again. I hope he's ok. Just in case it comes back though:

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no (my house is always 80F in the daytime and 78F at night)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? alternates between 25/50/100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Haven't tested it.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? slightly bloated (gone now though)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? was only sitting at the top
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5years
fishyloohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

It sounds like it was an overeating issue.....good that it has resolved....but now you need to prevent it....as posted.....Bettas can be little pigs...lol....I would only feed the snail 1/4 or less of the algae wafer 2 times a week-add it 1 hour after lights out...this may or may not help keep the Betta away from the food...but its a start.....offer the snail fresh blanched veggies instead of the algae wafer...this may help too....

In a 5gal unfiltered tank-no live plants and a snail....water changes of twice weekly 50%....with 1-100% a month should maintain water quality-provided that you don't overfeed...leave the uneaten food for the snail and skip the algae wafer for that week.....if you add a sponge filter and establish the nitrogen cycle you could decrease water changes to 50% weekly with vacuum......

Look forward to seeing pics and hearing more about your Betta adventures....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote