Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #1 
newfiedragon

Ich or velvet?

I was away for a week and someone else was taking care of my fish. Before I left, Sparrow seemed to be a bit clamped, and by the time I got home he was fully clamped. He's eating and he's moving around every now and again though.

This morning I started some AQ salt treatment, and this afternoon when I looked at him, he looks like he's got pale fuzzy patches on his sides and fins (especially his tail). I'm not quite sure if it's ich or velvet and I was wondering if there's much of a difference between them. I don't see any spots...just fuzzy patches.

I don't have time to post a pic right now. I'll post one later if I can later.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Just from the description, it's hard to tell. I would actually say he has columnaris, not ich or velvet at all. Columnaris is characterized by fuzzy patches.

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/cott...-disease-flex/

See if the pics and info match up to what Sparrow has. Hope you can post a pic soon, that would help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #3 
newfiedragon

Gonna have to post them tomorrow...wasn't able to get any tonight.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Okay. I know, it can be hard taking good pics of moving fish. Reaaaallly hard. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #5 
newfiedragon

Here's the best pics I could get...he'st still fairly active when I check on him, so he was moving around lots. It seems that you can only see the patches really well if the light hits him right.

In the top pic, you can see the fuzziness on his tail and around the base of his tail. In the middle pic, you can see the white vertical patches just behind his gills and further down on his body. In the last pic, you can sort of see patches on his body, but also you can see how clamped his fins are.

He's currently in a bowl with some AQ salt (1 tsp/g). Would it be better if I just went ahead with a FungusClear treatment? The description of fungus on the back of that box seems to be the most accurate description so far (white-gray cottony growth/patches on fish).
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Hmm. True fungus diseases are kind of rare in bettas. My best guess is he has columnaris, which is actually a bacteria. Bettas are very, very prone to it. What I would advise right now is to up the dosage of AQ salt to 3 tsps per gallon and lower the temperature of the water to about 76 degrees. Warm temps make columnaris more aggressive. Daily water changes, redo the salt. Try this for 10 days. If he gets worse or reacts badly to the salt, we can try a medicine like Maracyn-2.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)
Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #7 
wildflowers

I found out my Betta had velvet through shining a flashlight on her....please do that in a darkened room and see if it is a shiny gold coloring on him. If it is a rust color or gold color then it is velvet. You can only see the physical symptoms of velvet on the skin by doing this method or if you stand at a certain angle looking at your fish. It is hard to detect, but with a flashlight it is easy to see.

Ich from what I have heard is white and will not be shiny gold or iridescent like the velvet protozoan.

Betta Revive is helping me out along with salt and a new heater that keeps the tank at 82 degrees. It is day 3 of treatment..I am hoping and praying I rid this terrible disease!

Go get a flashlight and shine it on your fish ASAP!
wildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #8 
newfiedragon

After further research, I'm guessing that it's either columnaris or fungus. I'm still not sure if it's columnaris because there's no fungus around his mouth, which is supposed to be where it first starts, but I do agree that it looks a lot like columnaris.

I'm currently using betta revive on him also. He's just had his 3rd water change. Hopefully it'll work for him. *crossed fingers*
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #9 
newfiedragon

And I did shine a flashlight on him, but the fuzz didn't look rust or gold coloured.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #10 
MaggieLynn

Ich is little white specks all over like white sprinkles, similar to salt or sugar
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote