Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Here are pics for comparison.

The first is my girl when she had ich. You can see them all over her tail.
Name:  IchPlum.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  42.7 KB

The second is a Petco rescue with severe velvet.
Name:  Gershwin With Velvet.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  31.4 KB
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #12 
newfiedragon

Whatever Sparrow has doesn't look like either of those. And you can really only see the fuzzy stuff when the light hits him right. Hopefully the betta revive and salt will help.

He's stopped eating now, too. He wants to eat, but can't seem to swallow his food. He spits it back out. :(
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Could it be columnaris?

If it looks like columnaris, up the aquarium salt to 3 tsps per gallon and lower the temperature to around 76 degrees.

Try crushing his food into tiny bits and hopefully that will help.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #14 
newfiedragon

It seems to me that his fins (he had really long fins) are individually kinda stuck together so that he can't spread them. While I was watching him eat today (and thankfully, he did manage to keep some food down) he seemed to be trying to open his bottom fin, but wasn't able to do it. He's still swimming around when he sees me, though, so at least he's active.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Aww, so he's got his fins clamped. That's a sign that he definitely doesn't feel well. Poor guy. So what treatment are you giving him, if any?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #16 
newfiedragon

He's still doing the Betta Revive with AQ salt that I mentioned earlier. Should be done that on Saturday.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Okay. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #18 
newfiedragon

I took some pics and a video of my fish. Anybody have any idea what this could be? I've already done a betta revive treatment and I'm finishing up a AQ salt treatment. He hasn't gotten any better or any worse. He's been like this for more than 3 weeks now. :(

He's got a good appetite, but if the food is too big he regurgitates it. And he always swims around when I check on him.

It is possible that there might be some chlorine poisoning along with what was originally wrong with him. I'm not quite sure. The first time I did the betta revive, I can't remember if I put in the dechlorinator or not, and I didn't think of it until the next morning, which means he was 8-10 hours in water that MIGHT have had chlorine in it. I've researched the symptoms and he doesn't seem to be exhibiting any of the signs of chlorine poisoning, but I'm just not sure.

The first four pics are from this past Sunday, and the final pic is from last night. Hopefully the video will work.

http://http://s808.photobucket.com/a...t=DSCN2874.mp4
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #19 
Pitluvs

We had columinaris here, we did the Maracyn treatment and almost everyone ended up fine. I lost two Glowlights and one lost his gills and mouth but is still swimming and eating fine. I had 4 types of fish effected by it, not cheap treating a 30g tank ($10 per 10g twice). Urgh. I am unsure if this is what your guy has, but I do know that fungus is extremely rare and 99% of the time its columnaris. This happened 1 week after treating Ich here lol Now my Black Neon Tetra that I got a month ago showed signs, my tropical tank is cooler (73-75F) and he cured on his own. Checked today and he's clear of patches and no damage.
Also, its noted to effect,the mouth by 50% of my fish that got it, it was on their sides.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #20 
Sakura8

How high is your pH? I know that sometimes a very high pH can cause the fins to "melt" together like your guy's fins have. It's also possible his time in chlorine caused his fins to become like that, IF he did indeed spend time in chlorine. What is your water change schedule and have you tested your water?