Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #1 
Bloeduwedd

Ugh... stupidity

So I'm getting ready to start my sorority tak. It's planted pretty heavily, and I'm making sure to aquaint my girls with each other. I'm doing this by putting their cups in a kind of circle, and moving them around every so often so they can see everyone. My roommate came into the room where my bettas are, looked at the cups, and asked what i was doing, so I told her. She goes, "Why don't you just dump them all in the tank?" Um, yeah, I have no desire to have them kill each other -.- I explained why I couldn't and wouldn't do that, and mentioned that I was concerned about Stormclouds stress stirpes. She looked at me like I was nuts and said that Stormcloud was naturally striped, and gave me a "you're crazy" look when I explained about stress stripes. No wonder her betta died
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #2 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Well... some people refuse to learn. xP Or just choose not to listen.

Just call her a troll in your head for a while, you'll be able to ignore what she said about it later. xD; You know what you're doing, that's what matters.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #3 
Bloeduwedd

I'm slowly trying to educate her, but she still thinks I'm stupid for buying heaters for ALL my betta tanks. Thinks they don't need heaters when our room temp water is below 76 F. She kept her boy in a rectangular vase of maybe half a gallon with two sticks of bamboo and some gravel. Nothing else. And she changed the water maybe once a week -.-
Old 09-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #4 
Creat

Just steal her fish lol and tell her it died and was smelly :p But seriously I wish people could get over the fact that fish are creatures too I am lucky to find people sometimes who believe that
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #5 
BlakbirdxGyarados

This is why I love working at the pet store I do. It's very small, family-owned and run.... I'm freaking best friends with the owners, lol. And they do their research on everything and everyone that comes in through the doors. (Not the humans... the animals, lol.)
We had baby bearded dragons that started nipping on each others tails... found out we weren't feeding them often enough, so we started to do so.

If fish get sick, we isolate them in a QT tank we have in the back, and medicate them until they get better.
And we're surrounded by people who are so in love with fish... yes, we do get a dimwit or two who doesn't listen, but we still give them the information.
And while it's not a lot (anytime I'm there I always do it), water changes are basically done every two days for the bettas, always on Saturdays since we're closed on Sunday.

Edit: The best thing is that I get to learn how to take care of each animal.... I'm still definitely not an expert on all the different types of fish, but when anyone asks me about bettas, thanks to this site I'm a great source.
I highly doubt your roomate will be willing to listen unless someone she doesn't know seriously educates her... like people on this site, maybe?
I wonder if showing this to her, she'll be curious about it and look around. I don't know your roomate though, so... >>; yeah.

Last edited by BlakbirdxGyarados; 09-01-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 
Bloeduwedd

Creat: Her fish died, probably from a number of things that she was doing wrong, but she laughed in my face when I said part of the problem could have been that he was too cold. Thing is, she takes good care of the fish in her 25 gallon -.-

BG: I've tried to get her to look at this site, even going so far as to leave the computer on and the betta care page up when i get off before she gets on. No luck. Doesn't help that one particular employee at our usual fish store furthers her beliefs that they live in dirty puddles in China and don't need a lot of water or a heater, or even water changes.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #7 
Creat

Gah people makes me want to just hide in a dark little cave for a long time...
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #8 
Bloeduwedd

You're telling me... I'm trying to get a job in one of the LPS so I can try to make things a little better. If nothing else, I'll have an income and maybe a discount so I could rescue all the poor sick little guys XD
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #9 
BlakbirdxGyarados

... dirty puddles in China... What the curses.
The people of Thailand are from China, but that's just ancestry going way WAY back. And fish don't have legs to move from China to Thailand. :V
I'd like someone to find a rice field in Thailand that they'd call a "puddle" of water.
*rants in her head*
Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #10 
Bloeduwedd

Exactly. I actually wrote to the owner of that store about the lack of knowledge their employees show, and if it doesn't improve I'll print off a bunch of stuff from this website and send it to him XD