Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #1 
sorrelhorse1

Driftwood

I found some REALLY cool driftwood a couple weeks ago. Did a little research. So this is where I'm at: let sit out in the sun (triple digits) for a couple of days, boiled each piece for four hours(lol yes 4 hours each),and then for the last two weeks been soaking in Prime treated water with water changes everyother day.Changed the water today and it's clear. But now they are starting to feel slimy. Oh I scrubbed them in hot water with a stiff scrubby brush thingy (no cleaning products) before i boiled them. I'm confused. Advice?
sorrelhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like the curing process is right on track...the slime is normal and expected....if this is native collected wood-once you place it in the tank you may also see some white fungus/mold looking growth and this is also normal and expected....on the native wood I collect and use in my tanks...I like to use a spoon and dig out any soft spot and it kinda give the wood a more gnarly look that I personally like...lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #3 
sorrelhorse1

I'm going to go pick up a couple 55s this weekend. Is it safe to go ahead and put in the tanks, or should I let it cure a while longer? My favorite piece already has the white stuff on it. Went to a lake about an hour and a half away several times this summer and got loads of the stuff! Thanks for the help OFL!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

One of the most important factors in collecting native or local items used in the tank...besides the law....is pesticides and pollution......depending on the items and the size of tank/volume of water, sensitivity of the livestock......some pesticides even in small amounts can kill everything in the tank....so care needs to be made in that regard.....and Always have fresh carbon on hand and ready to make an emergency water change if needed....but this is with anything........

Personally, I would add the wood, watch the fish and make changes as needed based on reaction of the livestock.......the white stuff is generally...IME-okay or safe in a healthy system with healthy fish and several species of fish and inverts will most likely eat the white stuff with great pleasure......the white, green, black and gray stuff that has grown on some of the native collected wood I have placed in my tanks is eaten within the first 24h by my plecos, ottos, shrimp, snails and picked on by the guppies, Bettas, tetra without any ill effects......

A couple of 55's...awesome.....what are your stocking plans......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #5 
sorrelhorse1

I have 5 girls in a 10 that are gonna get upgraded and I like panda,and Pygmy cats. Bleeding heart,and neon tetras. And orange finned,and harlequin rasboras.Also I've been thinking about cherry shrimp and maybe a snail. I've got six ghost shrimp(I think. Hehe I can usually only find 2 or 3 at a time.)