Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Exclamation Marineland Hex 5g Questions.

So, I'm going to purchase two bettas online tonight (hopefully) from canadianaquafarm.com, but before that I'm going to buy two of the marineland hex 5g tanks, if BigAl's starts cooperating, along with heaters.

Any tips for baffling the filter? Any reviews of the tank? Any pictures of your filter baffle? :D Thanks so much!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

No baffle needed.

Add 2 Fluval Edge pre-filter sponges to the order from BigAl's. Like $3.00 each.

Keep the water level halfway up the notches on the filter outputs and the water will slowly swirl around the tank.

You can route the heater wires past the filter under it's cap and then under the light hood through a notch in the plastic plate over on the left side in front of the intake pipe.

I've got a Coralife pink bulb in mine, fine black fluorite rock, Cryptocorine, java fern and some weird tiny leafed stem plant that grew up and across under the light. Goat loves it, I love it, Wyst loves watching goat in it and I wish I had $200.00 to buy four more for the rest of my boys.

The intake sponge will slow down the water through the filter some without harming anything.

If you have a LFS and can get a bacteria starter culture -Hagan Cycle, TLC Optimizer, Mardel but NOT Tetra or API- then run the unit without the filter card, just sponge, water, bio-wheel, fish and heater while adding the culture a bit each day, within a week it should have the wheel cycled. Remember your tests 0.5ppm at highest and try to keep down under 0.2ppm.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 08-29-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Too late to add anything to the order, but I do have some filter media stuff around. What size lamp would I need to replace the incandescant one thats in there? I don't need a fancy light, just something flourescent really. Thanks for replying :D
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #4 
Thunderloon

Nothing stronger than 13 watts... most 13 watt won't fit well. I use a ten watt Coralife Colormax (they look pink) 6700K and the plants are dark and healthy. The "true atinic" bulb doesn't really work well because the reflector is cheap metal and absorbs some of the spectrum.

I suppose that technically you could reach 8w/g with some of the smaller varieties of bulbs out there... just the fit is tight.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #5 
bettafish15

Ohh okay. I will look up that light bulb online! :D
Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Would this one work?

http://www.bigalspets.ca/Coralife-Mi...Rank=salesrank
Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

yep, any "mini" bulb will fit. This usually includes 5w 10w and some 13w compact bulbs. A 13w compact will generate a LOT of heat.