Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #1 
QueenBetta383

Red face Breeding Help

I have been conditioning my spawning pair of Katashi and Shichi for over 10 days now I believe. I had Shichi in a breeding net until today, so Katashi could see her gorgeousness of course!
Once before Shichi had jumped out of the net, and they frayed eachothers fins up pretty good, but were not overly aggressive.
I came home from school today to find Katashi with a pretty decent sized bubblenest under the piece of wax paper I had put on the water. I decided since Shichi was 'ripe' I would let Katashi see if he could impress her enough to actually mate.
Once Shichi was in the tank, Katashi has been working massively on the construction of his bubblenest. Shichi watches from the safety of the live plants I have in the corner, and comes out every now and then.
When she comes out, and too close to the bubblenest, Katashi will flare and chase her back into the plants, but when she is in the plants, Katashi will go over and curve his body, and almost look like he is flagging with his tail and flaring. He isn't lunging for her, just kinda doing a little 'dance'.
I wasn't sure if this was normal, because I had heard slight aggression and nipping of the fins was nothing to be worried about.
Katashi has been very very sweet to her, but she has really been picking on him. Not as much this time around.
It is my first spawn, so I will need some help. Please and tanks!
QueenBetta383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #2 
Mohan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBetta383 View Post
I have been conditioning my spawning pair of Katashi and Shichi for over 10 days now I believe. I had Shichi in a breeding net until today, so Katashi could see her gorgeousness of course!
Once before Shichi had jumped out of the net, and they frayed eachothers fins up pretty good, but were not overly aggressive.
I came home from school today to find Katashi with a pretty decent sized bubblenest under the piece of wax paper I had put on the water. I decided since Shichi was 'ripe' I would let Katashi see if he could impress her enough to actually mate.
Once Shichi was in the tank, Katashi has been working massively on the construction of his bubblenest. Shichi watches from the safety of the live plants I have in the corner, and comes out every now and then.
When she comes out, and too close to the bubblenest, Katashi will flare and chase her back into the plants, but when she is in the plants, Katashi will go over and curve his body, and almost look like he is flagging with his tail and flaring. He isn't lunging for her, just kinda doing a little 'dance'.
I wasn't sure if this was normal, because I had heard slight aggression and nipping of the fins was nothing to be worried about.
Katashi has been very very sweet to her, but she has really been picking on him. Not as much this time around.
It is my first spawn, so I will need some help. Please and tanks!
that sounds pretty normal.. did they do kind of a ritualistic dance.. was it something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgoHHW1lI_I
also did you condition them seperately from each other's sights?
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #3 
Treena

I know very little about breeding, but this all so far, sounds normal to me. I hadn't really read up on spawning, and have never attempted it myself, but from what I know, she will come out one of these times, and they will kind of start is dancing in an 'S' shape, he will be flaring, showing off his fins, ect.
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #4 
QueenBetta383

I conditioned them on high quality food seperatly for several days before putting the female into the breeding net. It does seem like that. I will go get a video, and upload it to show ya'll.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #5 
QueenBetta383

Oh also, Mohan, I am obsessed with your male. Are any of his spawn for sale? I would be interested if so, I would pay live shipping, plus the cost of the fish. He is just stunning!