Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Can I put my fish straight into my 2.5 gal?

I bought a 2.5 gal Aqueon today, and I have the filter and everything set up and running. I've heard that cycling smaller tanks is hard, but do I need to do it?.
Or can I just put Jalen in there once the water reaches room temp?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #2 
nel3

did you baffle the filter? AQ sponge does rather well when stuffed in the open areas of the filter intake. i did that to the intake and output of the filter. id say it'll be safe when you slowly acclimate the fish to the water from the 2.5 gal.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #3 
Alex09

No, you do not need to cycle a small tank provided you do adequate water changes.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #4 
freeflow246

I'll get some sponge to baffle it tomorrow. Right now the flow is super low now, and the filter has a guard over the opening. The filter is made for bettas, actually.
Just wondering, is it possible to keep an unfiltered 2.5 gal? The filter is kinda ugly. :/
Old 09-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

I believe most people here don't recommend using a filter on a tank that small anyways. Even with the filter you will need to do a 50% and 100% change a week. It certainly can help. Keeps the water moving so it doesn't get a film on the surface, removes some waste (but it doesn't break it down because you can't hold a cycle). It is just personal choice.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #6 
Fleetwood

You don't need to cycle as already stated, but you do need to dechlorinate the water. Six drops of something along the lines of DeCHLOR should do the trick. You should also let him sit in his cup for a few minutes to be sure he's adjusted to the temperature. Weekly water changes should be fine with dechlorinating each time you do.
My tank as of right now is unfiltered, it does have a heater however.

Here is what a bottle of DeCHLOR looks like for reference.
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #7 
freeflow246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
You don't need to cycle as already stated, but you do need to dechlorinate the water. Six drops of something along the lines of DeCHLOR should do the trick. You should also let him sit in his cup for a few minutes to be sure he's adjusted to the temperature. Weekly water changes should be fine with dechlorinating each time you do.
My tank as of right now is unfiltered, it does have a heater however.

Here is what a bottle of DeCHLOR looks like for reference.
Oh yea, I definitely dechlorinate his water. It's standard procedure for me lol.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #8 
Fleetwood

Good! C: I just learned of dechlorinating Betta water when I brought Mustache home, so I suppose I assume that not a lot of people know that it's a standard procedure because I sure as hell didn't for the longest time.

o-o;
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #9 
freeflow246

Well the tap water where I live kills bettas in about an hour or two, so it's printed on the top of the betta cups at the pet stores here. But one of my friends out of state wasn't dechlorinating her betta's water for a long time, and he did fine. :P