What size is your tank?
5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day, 3-4 pellets total, 6 days a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner (5mL of solution for every 1 US gallon)

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Came out 0 when I used Ammonia Quick Dip Aquarium Test Strips
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Lost color under the head and slightly on belly. I bought the fish and it already had a gray spot on its dorsal fin, I feel it has gotten worse and bigger in diameter. I may be imagining it though.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None, still active, occasionally rests and flares.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, not yet because I am not sure what it is and I don't want to cause more harm or damage.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A

This is the best picture I could capture of the spot, top is circled, bottom isn't to get a better look:
hhchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #2 
tlyons01

Hi, I would just like to comment that I believe that it might be regrowth on his fin. I have a red veiltail that I have had for a few months and he has been nipped at, jumped out of his bowl when he was getting his water changed and ripped his fins, and each time his fins have healed, I can see its almost opaque white/cream color or close to it where the rips are fusing back together. Hopefully some one with more experience will also stop in and comment their thoughts too, the more opinions, the easier to conclude. The rest of his fins look good, I don't see much that looks like rot, which is a good sign. I think adding aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon, and clean water will keep him healthy if he does have fin rot. But wait until you get other opinions before you start adding salt to his water. You will need to know how to do that properly and I was just curious, do you know if his filtered tank is cycled? I ask because you are only changing 25% once a week, but used testing strip to test the water... These strips are notorious for giving wrong results and liquid drops work more accurately. I would love to share more of that information with you, if you need it and are interested....
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
hhchun

I was planning on changing it 100% every week because it is such a small tank, but someone told me that it is bad to get rid of all the water in the tank and suggested a 25% change a week and that any higher would be too much. I don't believe my tank is cycled because I havn't had my betta for longer than a week and only changed it once 25% since I filled it completely and that was because I thought the plastic plant had bacteria growing on it (that and I know anything about cycling a tank). If its his fin growing back that would make me happy, I am a bit of a worry wort so I purchased test strips just in case some freak accident did happen where the ammonia levels were too high. Thanks for your opinion, I hope it is his fin growing back, but he does seem to have lost some color under his head which is what gets me.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #4 
Luimeril

it almost looks like he got a rip in his fin, or something nipped it, and it's growing back. it's hard to see, but either way, keep his water as clean as you can. if you have any Indian Almond Leaves, or other form of tannins, adding that will help it grow back a little faster, and will relax him. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #5 
hhchun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
it almost looks like he got a rip in his fin, or something nipped it, and it's growing back. it's hard to see, but either way, keep his water as clean as you can. if you have any Indian Almond Leaves, or other form of tannins, adding that will help it grow back a little faster, and will relax him. :3
Thanks guys for the responses, it seems like regrowth! I can breathe happily.

Also, do Indian Almond Leaves require certain conditions? Also, if you don't mind me asking where do you purchase yours Luimeril?
Old 09-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #6 
Luimeril

they're just the dried leaves of a plant that grows in Thailand. you can buy them off Ebay i know for sure. i haven't had any in so long, and i hate it. you just put the leaf, or part of it, into the tank, and the tannins leech out and turn the water the color of tea.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote