Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Question about colors!

So it's 4 am, I can't sleep.

What sort of genetics are going on with this color? I love the soft creamy pink, it's adorable. Takes a real man to wear pink, right? ;) I've never seen a pink betta in person, only occasionally in pictures. Is this a rare or random thing?

Just curious. Not necessarily looking to get a new betta, but just love learning new things. Especially when I can't sleep.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:30 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

I dont know but he is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

Hehe, he was one of the big reasons I wanted to get a betta! I didn't realize they came in any colors other than blue and red! That opened my eyes to this site, and then to aquabid, and the addiction to pretty betta photos!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That is a unique color - very rare and to my knowledge random mutation. Maintaining yellow and orange is hard enough...... pink ..... IDK.

The type of color - white background with light red - often occurs in blue and green (irid colors). If they're the same, thus that would be a combination of white (opaque, platinum, or dragon) and red. But for that combination to appear is a million to one if you start from scratch.

Somehow red works differently than irid colors (something to do with the color layer). If you mix white to blue or green, you will almost always get some with white background and light blue or green on the body and fins.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #5 
purplemuffin

Thanks for the response! I figured it must be sort of rare, otherwise I'd see them a bit more often!

Hehe, years in the future if I were ever to breed, that would be a fun advanced project to do someday, just to try. Of course it would be nearly impossible, but would be fun :) But that's just me daydreaming!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've seen pink bettas before at Petsmart but not lately. I always wanted a pink betta and name him Pink Floyd. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #7 
Bambi

I've seen a red copper who was almost that color, just a bit darker i think or a platinum red that's not full dragon.

I know fleshy pink is common,but that fish doesn't look flesh colored.

For his exact looks i'd say he's pretty rare( and cute). Like a white with red wash that covers his whole body.(When you see a platinum whit just starting to show red wash spots it looks almost that color pink sometimes).

if i were going to try to get that color, or one similar, if probably get a platinum white and breed it to a red copper. Not saying this is the right way to go as i'm still learning about genetics of coppers and such but as just a "well let see what we get" that's the way i'd go.

Last edited by Bambi; 10-11-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #8 
purplemuffin

Yeah, I've seen the 'flesh colored' pink ones a lot, but I haven't seen another one like this guy. It looks like he is just straight up pink! lol!

This is the only other betta I've seen with pink since that picture! And it's not like as pink, more peachy pink.

:D Go figure my two favorites are the harder ones to get! True purple and pink..lol!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #9 
Bambi

Haha such girly colors. xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote