Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 
Animalfreak

Exclamation Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been Conditioning my fish for two weeks now, on Pellets, some freeze dried blood worms not a lot, and frozen bbs. My male is in the breeding set up I have ( a 20gal, fake plants can't find real, 82F, oak leaves and stirofoam cups) and he won't make a bubblenest :(. My female is showing breeding stripes and has an egg spot but she is not plump? I have had her in my vase I have in the tank. He flares and dances at her, she will flare once in a great while and she has her had down a lot. I let her out once and he was chasing and nipping at her like crazy and she would swim away and hide untill he would find her. I took her out since she lost her stripes and looked stressed. Did I do something wrong or is this normal? I hope this is enough info. Please help me I am a stressed mommy fish here ahhhh. Any info I would Love.
Animalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #2 
Animalfreak

My male seems to be really agressive over her. Is their a way to make him less agressive? Also Why do you have to use Indian almond leaves? What is so speacil about them?

Last edited by Animalfreak; 09-01-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #3 
cajunamy
Banned

when you were conditioning, how did you do it other than the feeding you mentioned above? were you changing water in their jars/tanks everyday?

the male WILL be aggressive to the female and there will be fin nipping and chasing. it is part of the flirting.

IAL release tannins into the water that has good properties and helps the fish to heal, and want to spawn. IALs are native to where bettas come from and it stimulates breeding.

Keep girl in a jar in the tank for 24 hours, then release. A girl I just used didn't show breeding stripes until the next day, but she was nose down. She got chased and nipped at, but she is fine now. The male was more aggressive than my first spawn, but no huge damage was done.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #4 
Creat

Males dont necessarily make a bubblenest right away, some dont make one until they have eggs in their mouth. Whats your breeding set up like? Do you have enough places for the female to hide?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #5 
Mohan85

you should try fattening them up on frozen bloodworms
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #6 
Animalfreak

My male just started to make a bubblenest, I am so proud of him :D lol. I put my female in a jar in the tank yesterday and let her out this morning. There is some chasing on his part and she followed him to the nest once and swam away. She has plenty of places to hide. Thank you guys so much.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #7 
Animalfreak

Well his nest popped :(. Should I leave her in the tank or put her back and try them again later?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #8 
Rocketscissors

Leave her in the tank and let nature take its course! I wish you luck!!!
Rocketscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #9 
Animalfreak

Thanks, I also added duckweed to the tank and feed them. They seem to be liking each other more its so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #10 
Rocketscissors

Yay! That's great, glad to know it's working out!!! :)
Rocketscissors is offline   Reply With Quote