Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #1 
smellsfishie

Plant Lamps Dimmer than Regular Flourescent?

I just put in a Flora-Sun Max Plant Growth lamp to replace the flourescent that came with my 28G bowfront... It's dimmer, and has a blueish/purplish hue to it. Is that normal? I would think it would be brighter. :/

BEFORE:

Name:  Bettas and tanks 096.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  60.9 KB

AFTER:

Name:  28 G Tank and Waldo 029.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  48.2 KB
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I think those are in the 5000 kelvin range...even though 5000k is okay for live plants...the 6500k is better in my experience, however, they do give a more yellow look than blue...

Plants use more red spectrum for photosynthesis but they also need blue...I would add another bulb along with this one...one in the 6500k range and you will get better plant growth that is more pleasing to the eye.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-07-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #3 
smellsfishie

You are right, it is 5000 K. The package says 5000k high intensity lamp with peak emissions in the blue and red regions to maximize the photobiological process in plants.. (Well, I guess that explains the "purple"- doi)

I don't think my LFS sold a 6500k, I think this was the only plant lamp they had but I guess I could shop around. Will the plants grow under a 5000k? I am hoping to have them spread out more. They were under the regular flourescent for about 2 weeks and some leaves died. I'm adding flourish too.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
nowzem

Ditto. 6,500 to 10,000 is best for plants. The blue spectrum is not as usable for them..its better for corals. 10000K gives off a nice white light...and 6500 is more yellow (just like OFL said :)) You should be able to easily find a 6500K bulb at your local store (they even have em at Walmart).

That bulb may be a dud because a plant bulb should not be blue like that.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #5 
nowzem

Ahh... 5000K. That explains it. I think you should return it because you can buy one fluorescent in the correct range that should be enough for your plants. I have a 10000K T5HO on my 55 gallon and my plants love it :) They grow like mad.

If you have room, you may wanna have 2 bulbs, but if you only have one lamp for the tank, like I said before, I'd return it.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #6 
smellsfishie

HMMM!!!!!!! OK!!! :) Thank you for the advice. I will prob try to find he 10000K then since it will be more of a white light. Do you think those are at the petstores? I'm lazy... maybe I will try amazon.com! lol... Free 2 day shipping, holla! :P
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #7 
nowzem

I'd probably just amazon it too. I live in the country and I can't find ANYTHING here :)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #8 
nowzem

OH and LED lights are super pretty and white and my plants like those too, but they are 1)expensive, and 2) I don't like the way my iridescent bettas look as well under leds as fluorescents. :)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #9 
smellsfishie

OK, good to know. :) I'm in the country too... 1/2 hr to a pet store. I could try the feed/tractor/pet stores 10 mins away but again, lazy. :} PS this is Eggie's tank. :P (Soon to be sorority, I hope)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Plants tend to grow best in spectrum that is more like the sun and this is in the 6500k range...I use/buy regular daylight bulbs...not aquarium bulbs...so much cheaper and do the same thing......lol.......photoperiod is also important for plants...you want to start at 10h/day and increase based on plant growth and algae...its a balance...not long enough and you don't get good plant growth and the algae can out-compete them and some plants can be tricked by short photoperiod into thinking its a season change and go dormant, die or flower...depending on the species......long term changes not a day here or there......I stay on a 12/h/day photoperiod with my NPT and so I need to change out my bulbs every 6 months....its best to change bulbs at least yearly even when they still work....spectrum, intensity and light penetration decrease over time....... you can't usually see it but the plants and algae can......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote