Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 
SageMyster

Do guppies require the same exact care as Bettas?

I already know a loooot about Bettas. I was wondering if they still need the same amenities a Betta does. Do they use conditioner, salt treatments, etc.? I ask because the girls upstairs from my dormroom just had a guppy give birth to 18 little frys! And I kind of want one. :)
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 
TequilatheBetta

They are social fish (try 3 females and one male) and need a bigger tank because they should be kept in groups- I would say 10 gallon minimum. Cause if you have a male, they'll have babies, and if you a buy a female from a store they're usually pregnant. So you need lots of extra room. A 20 gallon is preferable, a 30 gallon even better :)
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #3 
SageMyster

Do they also NOT need airation systems like Bettas? ( And thanks! :) )
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #4 
TequilatheBetta

I wasn't aware that bettas needed aeration systems X) but there's a lot I don't know.
I personally think it's better to keep them in long, narrower tanks then tall ones. I'm not sure if they need air or not, but i've never aerated my tanks and my guppies are doing fine :)
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #5 
Neil D

Bettas do not need aerators...they breathe air using a labyrinth organ.

Im not sure about guppies, but I would think they would benefit from one...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #6 
vaygirl

Guppies need aeration either provided by a hang on the back filter or a sponge filter. They don't breathe from the surface like bettas do. They need surface agitation of some kind.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #7 
Wyvern

Yep like most fish, you need proper airation, filtration and heater to keep guppies happy. They are easy to look after if you get a healthy batch, dont add new guppies unless you have put them in QT for 2 weeks. Ive made the mistake of adding healthy lookin guppies in my tank and a week later I lost half of my guppies because I didnt QT the new ones.

Otherwise they are easy enough :)
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #8 
iloveengl

+1 Wyvern

They're not easy to sex until they're about a month old, and then the males will show their gonopodium; if you don't want fry (and keep in mind one female will give birth to 20-30 every four weeks if kept with a male), then get three females or three males. I've never had aggression between small groups of males. They're beautiful and friendly little dudes.

I would also agree that a 10g is the minimum size for an appropriate little group of them.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #9 
BettasForever

Very helpful thread-I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for posting.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #10 
Wyvern

Yep iloveengl, I have 8 males in my tank with my betta sorority and the males leave the girls alone and they normally play tag with each other (the guppies) but I have never seen more than 3 chasing each other at a time and they get distracted at the smallest thing so my males have not had any arguments. And now that I swopped my two agressive girls out the guppies are left in peace.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote