Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Anything that can live with a betta in a 2.5 gal?

I just bought my boy a 2.5 gal tank (he's not in it yet), and I was wondering if that tank size is large enough for tankmates. If so, what would be a good, easy-to-care-for pal? I think that a snail would be nice, but I don't know much about betta-compatible fish.
Also, I would like to add a live plant, preferably one that is also easy to care for and doesn't grow too fast.
Any suggestions?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #2 
LaLaLeyla

My betta is in a 2.5 gallon.; Ive been thinking of getting a little moss ball in there! :D
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #3 
ChelseaK

A moss ball or some other plants are probably all that anyone will recommend given that 2.5 is the preferred minimum for a single betta. But moss balls are just as fun as fish! I named all of mine Ted. :)
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaK View Post
A moss ball or some other plants are probably all that anyone will recommend given that 2.5 is the preferred minimum for a single betta. But moss balls are just as fun as fish! I named all of mine Ted. :)
I want to name mine Pete. Like peat moss? xD
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #5 
iloveengl

A nerite snail would work great. They have smaller bioloads than apple snails, and they don't have the little antennae things that a feisty betta could nip at/off. Plus, they come in some really cool shapes and colors, like horned, zebra, tire-track, and olive.

Anubias nana stays really small, and you don't need anything remotely special to make it flourish. Perfect plant for anyone without a green thumb. They also have good leaves for the betta to rest on.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #6 
GreenTea

I vote moss ball! I LOVE mine!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #7 
GreenTea

You can order a bunch of small ones and let them float or get a few big ones =] Or both!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #8 
Snappyarcher

The tank needs to be planted for the betta but as for mates.... No not in that size tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Snappyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #9 
freeflow246

I went to the store to buy some Anubias nana, but the person there said that they need filtration and fertilizer. I know that most pet store employees don't know squat, so I just grabbed a moss ball and left.
Could I put Anubais nana in a 2.5 gal though? I was sure that I could...
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #10 
iloveengl

I have many Anubias varieties, including the nana, and they definitely do not need ferts or special lighting to thrive. I attached mine to a tiny piece of driftwood and decor with a rubber band and by the time the rubberband split and fell off, the each of the plants were attached. I literally do nothing for these plants, and they are propagating beautifully. I have the Anubias nana in my 2.5, and it works really well in that size tank. The marimo ball is also a good fit.

Edit: Though all of my tanks do have a filter, I don't think not having one would have an impact on either plant. The plant'll feed off the nitrates.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote