Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #1 
hmckin20

Sorority planning

So, I'm planning a sorority. (:

I have a ten gal that will shared among six girls:

Charlotte- picture

Roxanne- picture

Demi- picture

Florence- picture

Peach- picture

And Orlando next week. :D

And the order I listed them in is no random order. I got excited and tried putting them together yesterday (a bad idea considering my tank isn't ready) and watched them for a while. Charlotte is the most aggressive and will most likely be the alpha female, where Roxanne appeared to be her worst competition, and Demi after that, even though Demi eventually backed down. Florence acted like she wanted in on the fights and tried chasing a few girls, but Peach was the only one she could chase. And Peach was like.. hey girls whatcha doin'? :D

Right now I have Peach in the big tank (since she didn't get nibbled on) and the rest of the girls in QT tanks, healing their fins.

And I got some great info about plants and hiding spaces, so I'm looking up the following plants: milfoil, java moss, riccia, hydrocoytle. I'm open to other suggestions too :D And tips on how to take care of them. It'd be my first planted tank, so I don't expect the sorority to be coming together too soon. o3o

Also gonna start cycling it sometime soon, after I move Peach into her own little tank.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 
audjree

aw, i just want to say that peach is so cute. :D
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #3 
Bloeduwedd

Aaawww! They're beautiful! Your Florence looks like my Big Mama :)
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #4 
Creat

The only thing I can say about sororities is they never go as planned :p at least mine dont.
I would look into anubia and cryptocorynes I love them and their great starting plants
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #5 
hmckin20

Thanks guys! C: Peach is a sweetheart, she's really shy. Florence is a little mischievious :P

Yeah.. I'm not expecting it to go as planned. o__o
I have some extra (permanent) tanks in case one or more of my girls are too aggressive for the sorority, but I'ma keep trying- smaller steps though, starting with plants. And lots of extra hope. :3

oooh i like those cryptocorynes! thanks, i'll add them to list of things to buy. :3
though i didn't find any anubis on aquabid.. i'll have to check out my LFS and petsmart. (:
Old 09-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Boy Charlotte has a big tail for a girl! I'm going to be starting one shortly myself, have a second hand tank all ready
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #7 
hmckin20

Yeah, Charlotte's nothing short of humungous x__x

Really? :D Do you have a thread? /wouldn't mind keeping up with your progress or seeing your girls
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Since I grow all those plants in my sorority, I have some info on them.

Firstly, I run what is considered very high lighting over my sorority tank (x2 25 watt T5 H/O over 7 gallons) because I haven't sorted out a more appropriate lighting stand. I also dose ferts every couple of days as my plants have shown deficiencies in the past.

At the moment I dose Seachem Potassium (sometimes ADA Brighty K), Iron, Flourish and occasionally Nitrogen. The only issues I've had has been some algae growth because of the positioning of my lights and probable lack of CO2.

Milfoil does best with good lighting. It grows very fast once it establishes itself and provided with enough nutrients, will take over your tank. Mine is grown in inert gravel, supplemented with a couple of broken up root tabs. When I pulled it out a month or so after going in, the root system was enormous so it obviously is also deriving some nutrients from the substrate. It will provide great cover for your females, and is a good way to break up the top levels of the tank.

Riccia is easy to grow. It is not that fussy, but will grow more compact under higher lighting. It will brown on the bottom, so it's best to thin out your riccia every so often to avoid this. As it's naturally floating, attempting to tie it to anything is more work than it's worth. It's a good way to shade low-light plants, but it will eventually spread to cover the entire surface of your tank.

Java moss prefers slightly cooler water and less light than the other two to grow. It does have a tendency to collect detritus, so I always give mine a swish in a bucket of old tank water every so often. It is fairly fast growing, but you just have to watch none of your females get caught up in it.

Hydrocotyle (pennywort) is another easy plant to grow. I left mine floating and it has started sending up emersed growth. However, it can be grown in the substrate. I've noticed since introducing it to the tank, the larger leaves have yellowed and died off, and new, smaller leaves are growing in instead.

Hope that helps some. Anubias and cryptocoryne are good plants for filling in shaded areas of your tanks. Anubias once established are basically indestructible, while cryptocoryne if provided with proper susbstrate nutrients are equally as hardy. Mine get 50% water changes every second day and the worst I see is a yellowing leaf or two.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #9 
Silverfang

haha, I'll be starting one up once I get the tank and start setting things up, happy to keep up with you. Have spent the whole summer planning it out. And thanks for the run down on the plants LBF, especially that cleaning trick for moss, that is a must.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #10 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Since I grow all those plants in my sorority, I have some info on them.

Firstly, I run what is considered very high lighting over my sorority tank (x2 25 watt T5 H/O over 7 gallons) because I haven't sorted out a more appropriate lighting stand. I also dose ferts every couple of days as my plants have shown deficiencies in the past.

At the moment I dose Seachem Potassium (sometimes ADA Brighty K), Iron, Flourish and occasionally Nitrogen. The only issues I've had has been some algae growth because of the positioning of my lights and probable lack of CO2.

Milfoil does best with good lighting. It grows very fast once it establishes itself and provided with enough nutrients, will take over your tank. Mine is grown in inert gravel, supplemented with a couple of broken up root tabs. When I pulled it out a month or so after going in, the root system was enormous so it obviously is also deriving some nutrients from the substrate. It will provide great cover for your females, and is a good way to break up the top levels of the tank.

Riccia is easy to grow. It is not that fussy, but will grow more compact under higher lighting. It will brown on the bottom, so it's best to thin out your riccia every so often to avoid this. As it's naturally floating, attempting to tie it to anything is more work than it's worth. It's a good way to shade low-light plants, but it will eventually spread to cover the entire surface of your tank.

Java moss prefers slightly cooler water and less light than the other two to grow. It does have a tendency to collect detritus, so I always give mine a swish in a bucket of old tank water every so often. It is fairly fast growing, but you just have to watch none of your females get caught up in it.

Hydrocotyle (pennywort) is another easy plant to grow. I left mine floating and it has started sending up emersed growth. However, it can be grown in the substrate. I've noticed since introducing it to the tank, the larger leaves have yellowed and died off, and new, smaller leaves are growing in instead.

Hope that helps some. Anubias and cryptocoryne are good plants for filling in shaded areas of your tanks. Anubias once established are basically indestructible, while cryptocoryne if provided with proper susbstrate nutrients are equally as hardy. Mine get 50% water changes every second day and the worst I see is a yellowing leaf or two.

Ohmyghfaj that is a great post!
Thanks for all that info! I definitely need it. :D