Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #1 
BrookeGrace

Unhappy Red has been really lethargic for the last 2 days. I'm worried.

He has been like this before when he has been bloated, but not for quite this long and it seems to just be getting worse.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? AquaCulture Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, five days a week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A to all.
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Kinda clamped fins. His belly looks just maybe a tad grayish, so I wondered it could be dropsy?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Almost completely dormant. It doesn't really seem like he always is breathing. Just floats at the top of tank lifelessly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Possible swim bladder disorder.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe under a year

Really dark and bad quality, but here is a picture.

This is about how he has continually looked. Sort of on his side, floating at the top. He isn't really bloated or anything, but when he tries to swim down, he can't and just floats. If I tap on the tank, he moves around a bit, but not much. I've worried before and he has survived, but he's the most inactive he's ever been. What should I do?

Last edited by BrookeGrace; 09-02-2011 at 12:11 AM.
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hi BrookGrace,
Sorry to hear your betta isn't doing well.
Looks like your husbandry is excellent and everything seems to be in order. From what you have described, sounds like he has SBD issue. I just don't know what is causing it. Besides the clamped fin, grayish underbelly, lethargy, and floaty, has his appetite change? Does he still like to eat and eat the same? However, for now, we can try the conservatively way to see if it will help.

1) pre mix 1 tsp of Epsom Salt in the 1 gal of conditioned water
2) add IAL if you have any (few dried leaves, crushed and steep for 60 min, then remove)
3) change water daily and observe and let us know in 5 days of any changes
4) this treatment should be for 10-14 days
5) if you have, varied diet such as frozen daphnia will help with constipation
6) take a mirror to make him flare, people believe that it could induce pooing

Oh...don't tap on the tank, it might just stress him out even more. Use your finger and voice to get his attention if you need to.

Hope he perks up soon and that his SBD isn't chronic or due to some infection.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #3 
LaLaLeyla

Try aquarium salt! My betta was being lethargic two and a little bloated. After two days of salt treatment he started swimming around again :D
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 
Punki

Earthworm is right. Try the epsom salt. Not aquarium salt, aquarium salt can sometimes make swim bladder issues worse.
Epsom = Buoyancy problems, bloating
Aquarium = Injury, rot
:)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #5 
BrookeGrace

Thanks everyone! I'm trying the Epsom salt right now. I hope it helps! Otherwise, he's starting to look a bit grayer today. :( Poor guy.

earthworm88 - He still LOVES to eat! :) I decided to just give him some flakes instead of pellets because he did have some bloating, but he gobbled them up as normal and seemed to want more. So his appetite seems to be the one thing still in check, haha.

I bought a 3 gallon tank awhile back that had a crack in it, so I returned it to the store and they were out of them so I just decided to get my money back. I don't know that he's really been quite the same since going back in the one gallon. Could that have affected his health?

Last edited by BrookeGrace; 09-02-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #6 
Myates

It sounds like SBD like earthworm mentioned. But bettas can get depressed. Especially if they get bored. So once he is feeling better and healed up, do the mirror exercise with him a couple of times a day for a few mins to keep him cheered up until you replace the 3gal :) (and even then, he would still love playing with a mirror hehe)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #7 
BrookeGrace

It isn't looking good for him. :(

He's just been on his side thrashing around or completely inactive at the top of the tank all day, and as of the past hour or so his fins are really clamped and his belly and most of his underside is completely grey. I did a full water change, did an Epsom Salt bath and have been trying to leave him alone otherwise and not stress him out.

I don't really have anything else that was mentioned to treat him with. If he's on his way out I kinda wish he just would... I hate to see him suffering. I don't know how much else there is I can do. It just kinda seems like he's getting worse.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #8 
Sakura8

BrookeGrace, I'm so sorry to hear he's not doing well. At this point, there probably isn't much else that can be done, as I think messing with further medications would only stress him out more. The only advice I can offer is keep his tank dim and quiet and warm. I'll be thinking of you. Hang in there.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #9 
BrookeGrace

Thank you! He's still fairly alert, so he's a pretty hearty fish to still be hanging on. But if he's just really slowly dying, I hope he doesn't have to suffer much longer. :(

I'm sad but I think I took the best care of him that I have with any fish before. I'm glad to have had him for as long as I have.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #10 
Sakura8

If he makes it through the night, you might consider getting some Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets since he's still eating. They're a little big so you might have to crush them up but the medicine in them will help him if his SBD is due to parasites or a bacterial infection. And because you won't have to mess with the water, it shouldn't stress him out too much.

Good luck.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote