Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #11 
Punki

When you epsom salt, dont bath, that wouldnt do any good really, you leave him in the epsom salts and change the epsom salted water daily. though it sounds pretty bad =[ Hoping the best for you and your guy :) If he cant swim down at all, you could put 2-3 tsp of epsom salts per gallon.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #12 
BrookeGrace

D'oh! That makes sense then as to why it didn't seem to be doing anything. I thought you had to put them in a separate container with the salt and do that whole process, but is that just for injuries and such? Anyway, thank you for clarifying that. I misunderstood the other times!

He's still floating around and a bit greyish, but he's still very much alive. What a trooper! I changed and treated the water and added the salt, so I'm going to put him back in a little bit. I really hope he pulls through.
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #13 
Punki

If its swelling/bloat/buoyancy issues then its a container with epsom salts for 10-14 days with dailly 100% water changes and if its injurys or fin rot its aquarium salts for 10 days. But if they are bloated and you put them in aquarium salt it could make matters worse so make sure your using epsom :)
Old 09-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #14 
iloveengl

In case constipation/bloat is having a part in it, you may want to forgo the flakes/pellets and only feed de-shelled, thawed, chopped up pieces of frozen pea for a few days. At the least, it couldn't hurt. At best, it's a fish version of a colon cleanser (just like daphnia) and could relieve some pressure on the swim bladder.

Hope your little guy pulls through. He's got a tough spirit.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #15 
BrookeGrace

Thanks for the tips! It's just kinda been no change throughout the entire day. I'm honestly amazed he is still alive, given that he hasn't actually swam in three to four-ish days and he is so bloated-seeming. He can swim down if he really wants to (like when I change the water and he tries to escape the evil fish net) but then he just floats back up.

His belly is really big and grey, and quite a bit of his body (still the underside) is grey as well. And I can't quite tell, but his eyes look a little iffy too. If it was dropsy, would he have already died? Does it still sound/seem like a SBD issue?

I'll buy some peas tomorrow and the anti-parasite pellets that were mentioned. I feel like I haven't been feeding him enough, but with the size of his belly, it doesn't seem like a good idea to give him too much. But I'll try the peas!

I feel so bad for him. He looks really miserable, but still has energy. Just gotta wait it out for the most part, right?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #16 
Punki

It sounds like the bloat is causing a swim bladder issue, Id fast him, i know its hard not to feed them but they can live at least 2 weeks without food. Its either constipation or parasites. You have him quarantined right? Is he pooping, what color is it? If its white and stringy its a sure sin of parasites.
Dropsy is a sign that the system is shutting down, it isnt the illness itself, but if your little red has dropsy youll see his scales raised when you look down at him from overhead.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #17 
BrookeGrace

Hmm, lemme see.

He's still in his usual tank, but I could put him elsewhere if need be.

I don't know that he has really pooped in the last few days, not since the floating/bloating began. The last time I saw it though it was brown and seemed totally normal. But yeah, it has been a few days. =/

And his scales are normal! If he makes it through another night, I will post a way brighter and clearer picture tomorrow. It seems really strange, but I guess maybe I just haven't seen this kind of SBD before.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Dropsy isn't actually a disease itself. Like Punki said, it's a sign the system is shutting down and because the organs aren't functioning as well, there's a buildup of fluids that presses against the swim bladder, causing them to lose control and look bloated. In severe cases, you'll see the pineconing. A good example would be a kidney infection in a human. Same thing, a buildup of fluids.

When you feed pea, make sure the pea is NO SALT ADDED. Blanch it by putting it in boiling water for 3 minutes and then in cold/ice water for 1 minute. Cut off the outer skin and cut a piece no bigger than a pellet from the inside. Feed that to him.

It's really hard to tell what could be causing his dropsy but the usual suspects are bacterial infection and internal parasites. The medicated pellets will help if he has either one because the meds in the pellets are highly effective against bacterial infection too.

I hope the little guy pulls through. I know this is rough so hang in there. :) I'll be thinking about you and your betta buddy.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #19 
BrookeGrace

He's better!!

When I woke up this morning I kinda freaked out because I was like, "Hey, he isn't floating at the top of the tank! What does this mean?!" and he was swimming around. No more huge grey belly or greyish body.

The epsom salt and changing the water daily helped. I will change his water daily from now on instead of every other day. I think I might fast him for a few more days just in case, too. Thanks for all of the help and patience, everyone! I'm glad he looks happy again.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #20 
Punki

Yep, id keep him in the epsom a couple more days to be safe but YAY! Must have been constipated XD