Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #1 
nixthebetta91

Persistent SBD :/

Hey guys! I'm new here and just registered because my betta is having some problems with SBD(floating at top of tank/belly sliding) for over a week now and I just don't know what to do anymore. I've assumed he was constipated since before SBD he was really bloated from munching on my snail's algae flakes. I've tried Epsom salt, and pea feeding.

At this point should I consider buying so antibiotics or just let him be (hope he heals on his own) and not stress him out anymore? I've gone to 2 local pet stores by the way and they have both suggested different thing. Mainly either just leave him be (let him die is what they said cause there's nothing I can do) or bettafix.

Also I am leaving town for the labor day weekend and won't be back until Monday and I'm just really concerned about leaving him like this. For the weekend should I leave him in the 10 gal or move him back to the 1 gal for the weekend, soaking him in betta fix? Or any other suggestions?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal (new btw can this be new tank syndrome?)
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Apple Snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets (2-3)
How often do you feed your betta fish? one/day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just the water safe or chlorine remover

Water Parameters: No....
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No, just floating at the top unable to swim downward
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Mid last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
epsom salt (1/2 tsp) in 1 gal Hosp tank, feeding pea (1/4 pea), and even adding some live plants to his tank hoping that he would maybe nibble on them and get some more plant fiber in his system.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he's had fin rot on many occasions back in the 1 gal tank I used to house him in.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe 6 months to a year at most.

Last edited by nixthebetta91; 09-02-2011 at 07:30 AM.
nixthebetta91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

I would get him in higher dosage of Epsom salt 3tsp/gal with tannins along with 100% daily water changes....since you are leaving for a few days....I would go ahead and place him in the 1gal-no filter-lights off, temp 76-77F add the Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins either IAL or dried Oak leaf and once you get back start making 100% daily water changes with premixed Epsom salt 3tsp/gal, tannin steeped- dechlorinated treatment water....it can take 5-6 days before you see any improvement.....I would do a full 10-14 day treatment......depending on the cause....if this is chronic he may need to say in the Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) for life......

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #3 
nixthebetta91

Hi and thanks for your advice. I will more than likely be moving him to the one gallon tank then before I leave. Hopefully I will begin to see some improvements within the next couple of weeks.

Here is an image of him. It's really bad cell phone picture I took just now, but I hope you can see than he's not overly bloated or anything. His fins are okay and he just kind of floats and swims around at the top.

I have a better video of him that I took which I hope to upload and post in this tread soon. It just shows him trying to swim down (with no success). :/

nixthebetta91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, sbd, swim bladder disorder