Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #1 
TequilatheBetta

Blood spots on fins?

Please read this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=79222

So Mr.Flub has ich, and I'm treating him with API super ich cure. I've been treating him for about 5 days, and I don't see any signs of improvement.
He's been developing a brown cast on his fins, especially near the edge. Could this be fin rot?
Today, he has blood spots on the edge of his fins. They're not streaks of blood like cellophanes usually have on the body, but like balls of red hanging from his fins. I couldn't get a clear enough picture but this is what it sorta looks like:
Name:  mrflub 009bloodspots.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  57.8 KB

obviously I drew the dots on it, and this is before he showed any signs of disease.
Also, the fin on his back is ripped and torn. I have a plastic plant in it, but i don't think it's sharp enough to rip his fins. They're clean rips to the edge of his back. He has been sleeping on top of it a lot ( which is why I put it in, and sort of getting himself stuck on it.

My question is, is it the plant that's causing the bloodspots and rips? And is the brownish cast to his fins fin rot? Please help!
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would remove the plastic plants...if anything to rule them out as the cause....replace them with either silk or real plants.....

The red spots are most likely due to trauma since he is ripping/tearing his fins...they can also be caused by too much water movement with really delicate fins....it could also be trauma due to the parasites....

You say he has been in treatment for 5 days and the Ich has not improved...correct....you may need to change treatments....are you treating him in his main tank or do you have him in QT....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #3 
TequilatheBetta

Hi OFL,
i've removed the plastic plants, and i will be keeping an eye on him to see if he's getting any more tears or blood spots.
I have him in a QT tank because it's shallower and longer then his main tank so it's easier for him to swim. I will be trying another medication if i can, but I don't know if I can convince my parents to take me to buy meds- i will try though :)
And OFL, thank you for helping Mr.Flub and commenting on both posts about his illness. He'd probably be dead now if you hadn't told me what to do :)
Old 09-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

do the spots look something like this? :

I was told they were trauma from the fins tearing and to treat with aq salt... Which seems to be the general cure for most anything. XD
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #5 
TequilatheBetta

Yes they look exactly like that :) Since I took out the plants and changed the water (for the third time that day X) he's been doing a lot better- very active, eating well, and swimming around. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

No problem! I am glad i could help with a picture, and it is great that your betta is doing well! :3
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote